XXXVII.

DANCING WITH DRAGONS | XXXVII.
"GREAT, THE DRAGONS LIKE HER TOO"
( 'THE TRAITOR' )

"GREAT, THE DRAGONS LIKE HER TOO"( 'THE TRAITOR' )

The bells rang loudly for Daenerys to hear. They were the bringer of bad news Viserys had told her. The bells rang for the death of a king or brought warnings of a siege of a city. Currently, they were ringing for the latter. As she flew ahead, she could see the Scorpions lining the walls of the city. A direct attack wouldn't be possible, not that Daenerys wanted to use her dragons on the city. She just needed to get to the Red Keep.

Jorah would be marching her troops to the gates soon and she hopefully could coerce out a surrender. However, she feared the worst. Cersei Lannister seemed like a woman who would die before giving up her crown. A surrender seemed unlikely, but the alternative would be to set fire to the city and kill hundreds and thousands of innocent people and that went against everything Daenerys believed.

She settled on burning the Scorpions. They were the most direct threat that she needed to rid herself of. Gripping the scale of Drogon tightly, Daenerys descended upon the gates of the city. A stream of fire fell from the dragon's mouth and set fire to the Scorpions and the men manning them.

Rhaegal and Viserion joined in as they laid waste to the weak defenses that lined the wall. The fear of the dragon fire forced the men to abandon their stations, many jumping off the wall to their deaths.

Once she had destroyed the Scorpions, she landed her dragon on a building and watched as people moved about in a frenzy below. Many of the soldiers were running out of the city, leaving it unguarded. However, she had no time to focus on them. Instead, her eyes went to the object of her desire, the Red Keep.

Unable to help herself, Daenerys flew toward the Keep, wanting to confront Cersei. She landed outside the castle on the streets. It was a tight space, but Drogon made it work. She stormed into the Red Keep only to find that someone had already made work of Cersei's castle guards. Bodies littered the floor and bloodstains surrounded them.

Daenerys was faced with a set of large double doors that had already been pushed open. She hesitantly enters the room as two bodies lay before the throne, one of a large man. The other is of a much smaller man. As Daenerys looks up, she sees a figure sitting on the Iron Throne.

Her pace hastens, but she stops once she is able to make out the figure sitting in the chair.

"You're supposed to be in the North," Daenerys said as she looked at Alysanne, "What are you doing here?"

"Finishing your war," Alysanne answered.

An eyebrow raised on Daenerys's forehead, "So was this your plan all along? You wanted to take the Iron Throne for yourself?"

Alysanne laughed, "Seriously Daenerys? I thought you knew me better than that."

Daenerys was unsure of what she was feeling. Anger? Betrayal? Relief? She was actually feeling a mixture of all three, but anger seemed to take precedence.