XXXVIII.

DANCING WITH DRAGONS | XXXVIII.
"HE HAS TO KILL ME FIRST"
( 'THE TRUE HEIR TO THE IRON THRONE' )

"HE HAS TO KILL ME FIRST"( 'THE TRUE HEIR TO THE IRON THRONE' )

The meeting happens earlier than Alysanne would have liked. Without being able to see if Varys had betrayed them, she needed to make her move now before he could harm anyone else. They meet in the Dragon Pit, with only major houses in attendance and respected leaders during the war of the Five Kings that had later turned into the war of the Five Queens.

Alysanne with Daenerys to her left and Arya to her right was the center of attention of the meeting. The Sand Snakes represented Dorne, Alysanne and Jon served as the voices of the North, Olenna Tyrell and Randyll Tarly represented the Reach. Robin Arryn of the Vale, her uncle, Edmure Tully represented the Riverlands, Selwyn Tarth came forward to represent the Stormlands, and Yara represented the Iron Islands.

They were all in attendance and they were talking among themselves as they waited for the meeting to begin. Alysanne gave a look to Tyrion who nodded at her and stood to get the attention of the council.

"Lords and Ladies, we are gathered here today to discuss the future of the Seven Kingdoms. Cersei Lannister is dead, slain by Arya Stark and Alysanne Stark. The war has come to an end and a time of peace is amongst us."

Alysanne stands from her seat, "I know that this war has torn our nation apart. Neighbors have fought neighbors and it may be hard to trust those that sit in this pit with you, which is why I would like to return the Seven Kingdoms to what they originally were."

Several gasps can be heard, but none louder than Lord Varys. Alysanne glances at the faces in the pit and can see the surprise on Daenerys's face as well as anger on Jon's. She stares at him, trying to catch his eye, but Jon looks away.

"My Lady," Varys says, "Certainly you cannot mean this."

"But I do," Alysanne says, "This war has fragmented our nation. To find peace we must rebuild, and to rebuild means that we must not be fearfully looking over our shoulder at a ruler we do not trust."

"You're calling yourself untrustworthy?" Varys asks, "Then allow us to pick another ruler then."

"Why would we do that?" Yara questions, "Why would we pick someone who knows nothing about our kingdom? Our traditions?"

"For the sake of the realm," Varys answers.

"The realm died with the Mad King," Olenna Tyrell answers, "Now go elsewhere, you bald bastard."

Varys falls silent.

"There are ideas to discuss about trade and what should be done with lands that have been abandoned-"

"The throne is mine," Jon interrupts. All eyes are on him as he slowly stands from his seat and makes his way to the center of the pit.

"Jon," Alysanne says, "Please don't do this."