CHAPTER 26

Melanie's POV❤

I felt the light touch of something in my ear and I slapped it off, furiously and half asleep.

It cane again and I slapped it off. Then I heard a giggle and stirred and turned around to sleep more. Then it occurred to me.

Wait. I'm in TJ's room.

My eyes opened and I looked around to find TJ sitting at the edge of the bed trying to stiffle his laughter but failed.

I sighed in rising anger at the fact that he had been poking me with something only God knows. And to think that I didn't get enough sleep last night was even more annoying.

Yeah, I hadn't slept well last night.

Why?

Because I was too busy, thinking about what Lucas said to me and what had been going in lately. My phone won't stop going off since last night and I had to switch it off at midnight.

I guess Derrick won't stop calling until he's sure my battery went dead.

I groaned and tackled TJ to the ground when he tried to run out of the room in laughter. It was a Saturday and I had decided to take my boy out for a treat.

I was tickling him so hard and he was laughing out loud and begging me to stop with tears at the corners of his eyes.

I finally stopped and was laughing along with him. He sat up with legs folded like a Muslim Indian and he smiled at me.

"I though you have your own bed, mummy ?"
He asked, grinning.

"Good morning to you too, Mr. Smart ass."

"Oh. Sorry, mum. Good morning, mum. How are you doing?"

I smiled and tugged on his cheek. I know he hates that and he wrinkled his face and pushed my hand off.
"I'm doing great, Mr. TeeJani." I said, sounding like a British woman.

He laughed and stood up, puffed his chest and put his hands behind him like imitating one of those English men in the Titanic movie.

I laughed at that, knowing that my son and I have been using their accent as a means of having fun. And its amazing because he speaks better than me.

"I am glad to hear that you slept well, Milady."

I laughed at he was smirking at me. The signature smirk that I would know even in my sleep.

And for a reason I still don't know, I saw Derrick smirking at me. With the left sided dimple.

My smile faded slowly as I remembered my issue from last night. And the fact that Derrick is probably still trying to reach me and I can't get myself prepared to talk to him right now.

Maybe I'm already missing him too much since he hasn't been around for weeks now.

Or maybe I'm missing him because I haven't been able to pick his calls.

Maybe I'm jumping into conclusions, here. He can't be that bad. He's sweet and gentle and mature and cool headed....When he's not angry.

"What's wrong?"
TJ asked with a frown.

I looked up at him and gave him a smile. "It's nothing. Mummy just spaced out for a while, that's all."

"Why are you spacing out? Are you in Mars?"

I laughed again. He smiled. That smile that tells you he intended in making you laugh and he succeeded.

I shook my head. "No, you handsome figure."
I said to him. I laid down on my back to the floor and stared at the ceiling.

"You wanted to talk to me about something, right? Aunt Bertha told me."

"Yes. I was waiting for you. You just came late."

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I was busy at school."

Okay, now I'm getting all guilty because I just flopped at the number one rule of single mums; Never lie to a kid.

Hmm. Great, right?

He nodded in understanding and i'm thinking that maybe sometimes, lying is the best option.

"So, what's up?"

"You know Uncle Mayor and Uncle Jamal took me to school yesterday, right?"

I nodded. Yeah, I forgot to mention that Jamal and Mayor dotes on the kid and literally drag rights to take TJ to school every morning. And most times, Derrick offers to do it. I honestly don't know why, but he insists that he wants to get to know the little boy and prepare for the future of having a child too.

I think that's actually very cute. And the fact that TJ spends time with them more is super cute. The boy is drawn to their family because they help him with his painting.

"Yeah. What is it?"

"Well, someone saw us at the mall the other day and asked uncle Mayor is he already has  a son."

I blinked because I didn't understand where he was going. He noticed my confusion and face palmed himself.
"Mum. The lady said that I look like uncle Mayor so well."

My heart skipped but I was quick to recover and nodded, thoughtfully. "Okaaayyy?"
I said, slowly. "So, what has that got to do with anything? Is that what you want to ask me?"

"No, mum. Yesterday, I over heard one of my teachers talking during break. She said that my father looks more handsome in person."

"What?"
Okay, my heart was beating so fast that I couldn't hear myself anymore.

"She said that the other one with a nice left side tattoo is my father. The other teacher didn't believe it but she told her that she should take a look at me and tell her what she sees. I saw them looking at me and talking too. The teacher called me and asked me if uncle Derrick is my daddy. I said no. She  said, 'It's very shocking because you look just like him.' "
He said, mimicking the female teacher's voice and moving his hands like a girl.

If I wasn't too shocked, I would have laughed my heart off. But when he was done, the only thing that came to my mind was Lala's words.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. And to say that it happened before me, is something else.

Just last month, a friend of Derrick had bumped into Derrick and while they were exchanging pleasantries, Derrick introduced us as his girlfriend which had shocked the guy clearly.

But when he had been introduced to TJ as my son, the guy laughed and said, 'Damn, man. I knew you were going to hit the ball one day with all your sex escapades.'
And even when I had closed TJ's ears after that, the boy hadn't stopped asking me is the sex the stranger was talking about was Tue one he wrote down in his notebook as Male or another one.

I simply told him, its the same. I never thought about what the guy meant or read much meaning into it.

Now, my worst fears are beginning to rise. And the only thing I have avoided for years is coming back to haunt me.

The one question I have been asking myself since last night, is coming back again; Who is Derrick Jacob?

Please vote and comment
Love,
Mireya💕