CHAPTER 60

Melanie's POV

"Are we going to see someone special, mum?"
TJ asked me on our way out of the house.

I passed aunt Bertha at the living room watching her favourite reality show and she glanced at us with a brief smile.
"Going already?"
She asked.

"Yes, aunt."

"I wanted to talk to you for a bit. But when you get back then."

I nodded. "Okay." Wondering what it is she wanted to talk to me about, I pushed open the door for TJ who jumped out at once.

"Mum?"

"Yes, sugar?"
I looked down at him.

"You didn't tell me where we are going?"

"Oh! I'm so sorry. We are going to see your dad."

TJ paused. I was forced to stop walking and turn to loom at him. "Is everything okay with you?"

"Why did you dress like that, then?"

Wait. . . what? I took a double check at my outfit which I had actually stayed up during midnight, trying to put together, and then at my son.
"Too much? Not good?"

He was silent.

I got frustrated at once. "Tell me!"

"It is . . . You don't normally dress like this to see daddy. You look like you're going to a party."

I sighed in relief. That means it is good. I actually didn't want to make too much impression, as I wasn't dating Derrick any longer, but I still didn't want it to seem like I'm homeless on my first day meeting his mum.

Well, that wasn't the whole reason though. I dressed this good because I have a feeling that whoever Derrick is dating, will he at the house today. Just a hunch though and when I have these feelings, they never lie.

I just don't want to look too simple to meet her. I guess this is the part where the ex meets the real deal. I have over heard Derrick laughing with her on phone most times and to say the truth, he never laughed that way with me.

She must be too special to make him that happy. Since we broke up, he had been loosening up pretty well.

"Thank you, then. Okay, here's the thing. Daddy's mum is in Nigeria as we speak and he wants you to meet her."

I saw the eyes of my son sparkle as he smiled at me. This would be the first time, he gets to meet a grandma who is actually related to him. Aunt Bertha has been the grandma figure in his life since he was born and don't get me wrong, she spoils him silly, but then he had actually talked about what it would feel like to have two grandmas who would spoil him rotten.

Hmm. I'm jealous.

"Really?"

I grinned at him. "Yes. Really."

He looked up at me as we walked to the end of the street.

"Does she have long dark hair like daddy?"

I chuckled at his definition of long dark hair.  Derrick's hair was just soft and dark and grows fast, most times, they grow past his forehead.

I was about to answer him, when a car stopped beside us and the smiling face of Kendrick came up.
"So, let me get this straight. You both were walking to the bus station on foot to board a bus?"

I nodded.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Get in, Melanie. Honestly, did you really think that Derrick will let you come with a public bus?"