CHAPTER 58

Melanie's POV

"Careful."
I whispered as we came into the house, where the light was dim because the only source of light into the room was the light bulb from the neighbouring house beside ours.

Derrick carried TJ all the way to his bedroom. The little boy was already asleep, with his head his father's chest, while I helped open the door to his room.

The other room opened as soon as we were about getting into TJ's room and I saw my aunt step out of her room.

She looked at us and her gaze relaxed. "I heard voices."
She said.

I nodded. "Good evening, aunt."

"Good evening, aunt."
Derrick repeated.

Aunt Bertha nodded at us and walked back into her bedroom. It was only logical that she would he in bed by now.  It is already past 9p.m and if it wasn't for the fact that TJ wanted to spend more time at the park, we would already be home before now.

I put on the light as Derrick made his way, carefully to the bed and gently placed TJ in it, tucking the covers around him after taking off his shoes.

I bit back my smile at how good he was doing that. All I did was step back and watch him carefully. He looked like he had been doing this all his life. Being very focused and taking off the boy's shoes, his shirt, as TJ made sleepy sounds and then gently placing his head back on the pillow.

Derrick turned to me with the shoes and shirt.
"Where do I put. . ."

"Oh!"
I cut in and rushed forward to get the belt, shoes and shirt from him. My finger brushed against his and I was sure I felt something. Something I didn't want to feel again.

Something that made my mind wander back to our moment at the park today. Flashes of how he had pulled my into his arms while the Ferris wheel went on and on, kept haunting me. And I shook off the thought.

I turned to him and smiled. And together, we both turned to TJ and stared at him, with admiration.

And the boy slept so peacefully.

"Thank you. I had a wonderful time today. And so did TJ."
I said to him.

He smirked. "Obviously. With how you were yelling and crying."

I slapped his arm and he laughed, then shushed because he was getting loud.

I one the other hand, covered my mouth with my palm and ended up snorting.

"I'm glad you had a great time, Melanie."
He said to me.

I looked up at him and stared at him for a while. Our gazes held and I couldn't tear mine away. He didn't seem like he was ready to do that either.

He cleared his throat and looked away. Not what I expected. Derrick was one to be bold enough to hold my gaze for as long as I wanted.
"I should go. It is late."
He said.

I nodded. "Yeah."

We walked out of the house in silence, as I accompanied him to his car parked outside.

"So, I'll see him tomorrow?"
He said.

I nodded, trying to hide the fact that I was wondering why he didn't  say I'll see you both tomorrow.

What is your problem, Melanie?! You wanted him to leave you alone and he  is trying to, can't you see?
A voice said in my head.

I sighed. I really want him to leave me alone, I thought to myself, replying that voice.