CHAPTER 50

Lucas's POV

I wanted to stop talking but the way she looked at me and told me to go on, I had to do her bidding.

I could see the alcohol's effect was wearing away little by little and I saw how shocked she was with everything I said.

She sighed and buried her face in between her palms, supporting them on her elbows.

"He didn't know, Melanie."
I told her.

She looked up at me.

"Derrick didn't know. He is a lot of things but he will never sleep with any woman against her will. When I had sex with Tammy, Derrick beat up. Because I had raped her. But that was before he met you. . . in a bad way."

She sighed.

"Jenna was so scared that night. She cried for being the reason why you had to go through all that. I think she must have created a bond between you both when you met."

Sue scoffed. "Yeah. Right. A bond indeed. If this is her version if loving me, I don't want to see her hateful side."
She said and rolled her eyes.

I leaned forward and watched her stare into space.
"Maybe the only thing left is for you to talk to her. Maybe, if you have a private chat with her, things might change between you. She loved you, Melanie. She came to the hospital for a week while you were in a coma. But, after that she just stopped going to see you and I don't know why."

She looked up at me. "Did you stop going to see me?"

He lowered his gaze. "I did. I had to protect myself, Melanie. I didn't want you to file a case against me. My family looked up to me and at that time, I had a lot to prove to them. And the pressure was on me because of the public and my family name. I didn't want anything to taint that. I'm sorry if I sound selfish but at that time, I had no choice."

She nodded. "At least your one of the people who saw me and had pity on me." She said.

I don't know how to say it, but that was more than a relief to me.

"They're sorry, Melanie. All of them. The next day Derrick just knew he had defiled someone. I expected it to be the blood but then, before we arrived from the hospital, someone had changed the sheets and his them from everyone. I didn't need to ask who did it. I know the work of AJ when I see it. But Derrick knew. He knew he slept with someone and he confided in me, wanted me to tell him the truth. I had to tell him everything."

"So he knew it was AJ all along?"

I said nothing. But she knew the answer to that anyway.

"He knew all along that AJ did something wrong and he did nothing about it?"

"What are you talking about? You talk as if you don't know how hard it is to turn against your own blood. The damage had already been done, all he had to do was live with it and try to make amends, which he did by finding you."

"The. . . The club meeting, that wasn't the first time?"

"Nah." I said and gave her a rueful smile. "He met you once, but you were in the cafeteria with Lala. I know because I came with him to pick AJ. We were going out and then she called him. That's when he saw you. That's when he made AJ get to know you better. And that's when she came to be close to Lala all of a sudden."

There was another silence between us and each of us to our thoughts.

She looked up at me again. "So, why did you and Derrick fight then? Why were you both against each other when we first met?"