CHAPTER 61

Melanie's POV

"It's nice to meet you, Melanie. Derrick has told me a lot about you."

The words seemed like they were echoing in my ears. I stared at her like she just landed in this room straight through the celling.

"Mel, are you okay?"
Derrick's voice, most embarrassingly pulled me out of my reverie.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine, thank you. I need to go home right now, Derrick. It is getting late."

Okay, why on earth am I acting like this? Derrick is free to date whoever he wants. We are not freaking dating anymore!

I glanced at Gina and she smiled at me. The lady has no clue about what's going on.

"Sure. Let me give you a ride home."

"No, no." I cut in immediately. "It is fine. I can board the cab. You should stay with Gina. Won't want to leave her all alone."

"Oh, it's actually not a big deal." Gina offered.

Okay, the fact that she was being nice tonight was putting me off the edge. Maybe she's normally nice like this.

"Really!"
Derrick asked.

"Yes. I can stay with Jamal. He's not far away from here anyway."

I gave her a smile as she walked away. I didn't know a word to say to Derrick as my head was filled with the thoughts of Gina. So, our walk all the way to his mum's room was all on silence.

At the end of everything, Derrick ended up taking me home without TJ. It appears that his mother still wanted TJ around a bit. Which means he wasn't coming home until tomorrow.

"I hope to see you around more, Melanie."
Maya said to me with a smile and her hands covering mine in affection.

I gave her my best smile and nodded.

My thoughts kept drifting all the way to Maya. I couldn't teary thoughts off the fact that she was sick.

And here I was, thinking that she would be as arrogant as most rich mothers who wouldn't want a peasant like me close to her son. I would have thought she was all nice to me because, I wasn't dating her son anymore, but she just insinuated that I was engaged to him.

"Penny for them?"
Derrick said, cutting through my thoughts as his reached forward to turn on the radio.

I glanced at him and nodded. "I was wondering how it would have been if she wasn't ill. I mean, is she always like this?"

He glanced at me from the road and chuckled. "Are you saying she's acting this way because she's sick?"

I shook my head immediately. Although that's what I was actually thinking. "No, no. Don't get me wrong, Derrick. I'm just. . . All along I thought that she would hate me, you know. As most rich mothers behave."

He chuckled again. "How many home videos have you been watching?"
He asked, grinning.

I ended up laughing and hitting his arm closest to me. He laughed along with me.
"Shut up."

"No, seriously. She's not that bad, Mel. And she was just like you when she met my dad."

That got my attention and I turned to him. That reminds me, he never talked about his parents to me before. And my curiosity was piqued.
"Really?"

"Yeah. She was once a. . . hotel maid in one of my father's hotels. She delivered to the wrong room and that's how they met. She literally threw half the meal at his feet because he opened the door when she was leaning against the cart which was leaning against the door."