CHAPTER 42

Melanie's POV

To say that I was shocked was an understatement. I couldn't describe what I felt at that point.

Derrick's lips moved above mine in ways he had never kissed me before. I've never felt his lips against mine when he's drunk and this is a first. And I found myself kissing him back. It was hard for me to stop.

I know I missed him. But how do I explain my need to stop and yet still want to kiss him?

I pushed away from him and stood up, making sure I had enough distance between us.

He looked at me like ye was just seeing me for the first time, trying to sit up and reach for me but I stepped backwards.
"Babe. . ."

"No, Derrick. Stop right there."

He chuckled. "Why? You are disgusted by me now?"

"No."
I said before I knew it. "Just. . .stop. I have to go. This was a bad idea in the first place."
I said, picking up my purse, but he held me back.

I don't know why but instead of a strong panic, knowing that ye raped me, I felt nothing.

He looked at me, holding out gaze. "Come on, babe. Please just give us another chance."

"Derrick, stop."

"Stop what? I'm not forcing myself on you now, am I? I miss you, babe. I miss us. Why are you doing this?"

"Do you think it is easy for me? You want me to forget about what happened like its a piece of cake!" I snatched my hand off his.

He lowered his gaze, looking down at his hands. "I'm not saying it is. You are just still upset and I understand but then, can't you just forgive me?"

"Forgive you? You think I don't?"

He looked up at me in shock. He stood up and closed the distance between us before I could do anything, his hands wrapping around my waist.

"Derrick, Stop. I'll scream."
I blabbed.

He chuckled because he knew I was blabbing. "You'll scream? Really? Am I that bad? You know you still want me, babe. Why don't you just. . .I want to explain what happened. You don't understand. . ."

"I don't want to hear it, Derrick. I don't want to hear anything from you."

He stepped back like I had said rubbish. "Why not? I believe that in Nigeria, everyone has a right, yeah? I know what I did and I have apologized to you several fucking times, Melanie! What else do you want?"

"I want you to stay away from me!"
I snapped at him. I didn't expect him to talk to me like that any way.

He nodded, slowly. "You want me to stay away from you, huh? What if I can't."

"Then, it is your loss. You don't know how much I wanted to send you to jail, Derrick. For what you did, I want to make you pay! But T.J . . .You know what? Forget it."
I turned around to leave again but he pulled me back, spun me around to face him, his breath fanning my face.

Part of me wanted to lean forward and kiss him.

"My loss, huh? Guess what? You can't get rid of me so easily. I'm there and I'll always be there. . ." He leaned forward, "under your skin."
He whispered.

I looked up at him.

"I love you, Melanie. And when I say that, it means I won't give up so easily. So, if you want to push me away, baby, I'm not going anywhere."
He turned around, his back facing me.