CHAPTER 48

Lucas's POV

I walked into the study, stressed out and with the thought that I could just catch a sleep for a few minutes and get right back to work.

But when I walked in, there she was, sitting behind the desk like a female boss.

I paused and looked around the study, then glanced behind me, thinking of how she could have gotten in here in the first place.

"Hey, pretty."
I said and grinned.

She chuckled and swung her legs off the desk, stood up and half sat on the edge of the desk as I walked over to her. She nodded towards the empty chair she had just left and I occupied it.

"I'm beginning to think I raised a vixen. How did you get in here in the first place?"

She laughed. "I can pick locks too, you know. You didn't tell me you were back."

"And I was just about to ask how you knew."

"Tammy. Well, she was saying it to TJ and I over heard."

"You eavesdropped, you mean?"
I said and smirked.

She picked up a bottle of champagne. "Let's make a toast l, shall we?"
She picked up two bottles that had already been on the table. My guessing is that, she already had this in mind while coming here.

"A toast to what?"

"I should have been toasting to your success, but let's be selfish this once, shall we? Let's make a toast. . ."

She laughed at the popping sound from the bottle and winked at me with a smile. She poured in two half filled glasses and handed one to me.

This is weird.

I took it from her, watching her closely.

"A toast to all your successes!" She laughed. "Go on, drink."

"What is going on with you, Melanie?"

"What is going on with me? Why? Because I want us to have a drink?"

"It's not the drink. There's something bothering you? What do you mean by all our successes?"

She stood up and walked to the sofa, staggering.

"You were already drinking before you came here? What is wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with me? What is wrong with all of you?! Yes, let's celebrate how you all ruined my life!"

"Melanie. . ."

"Don't. . . Start."

"I'm sorry. I should have told you. . . there was no way I could do that to you. I didn't want you to get hurt the second time."

"The umpteenth time would he better, Lucas. I don't think, me getting hurt would be bad for you all. You guys seem to do it without breaking a sweat."
She sighed.

I stood up to walk to her and she raised a hand, rested her head against the head rest of the sofa and stared at the chandelier.
"I'm tired, Lucas. I still don't know what to do."

I sat back and stared at her. She wasn't angry. At least not like she was with AJ. Tammy told me everything.

"You are the only person I know, who would want to be close to everyone after what we all did to you."
I said. She looked at me with hooded eyes.

"I don't have a choice. I want to be far away from all of you, Lucas. I want to be able to wake up one day and smile because I know I am in a place nine of you will ever find me. But the one person who inflicted this pain is my son's father. I can't keep him away from his father. And if he gets close, all of you gets close too."