CHAPTER 70

Song for this chapter:
* Sea Of Lovers
By: Christina Perri
*Best Part Of Me
By: Ed Sheeran ft. Yebba

Derrick's POV

I pulled her into my arms as soon as the song Sea Of Lovers by Christina Perri started.

I smiled at her and she returned end the smile. I know I don't like it when she drinks, but I guess sometimes I have to let her do what she wants.

We stayed that way for a while, swaying to the sound of the music. Her hairspray, going into my nose and filling me up like a drug.

She looked up at me and I felt she wanted to say something.

"What is it?"
I asked.

"I'm getting married."
She said to me.

I waited to process what she said. At first I thought I heard wrong. No, I know I heard wrong.

"What was that?"

"I'm getting married, Derrick."
She repeated. My hearing abilities weren't playing tricks on me. She was indeed getting married.

I looked around the room as lovers paired up to dance to the new song. I remembered this was us few weeks ago, when I asked her to dance during Tammy and Lucas's engagement party.

"What?"
I asked the second time.

She sighed and looked around as if looking for a way to walk out on me. "I said, I'm getting married. I've said that three times already."

No kidding.

"Getting married? And you're just telling me now? Wait. . .How. . .Who?"

She stared at me for a bit, then said, "Henry asked me to marry him. And I said yes."

That was the drop of the final bomb. I paused and nodded. "Okay. You love him?"

She lowered her gaze and then nodded. "Yes, I do. I have learnt to love him, Derrick."

"What happened to us, Melanie? The night we made love, was that. . . Was it all an act? I know I felt something. Didn't you?"

She sighed. "Derrick, I . . . You and I, we might not be meant for each other." She shrugged. I just hope she knew his much that hurt me.

"I'm sorry. That night was. . .wonderful for me. But I just wanted to. . .part with you."

"You wanted to part with me? So, you had to throw yourself at me like that?"

"Excuse me, I didn't throw myself at you."
She looked annoyed all of a sudden.

I sighed. "Melanie. . . I love you. You know that, right? And I will do anything to make you happy. All I want it for you to be happy. If you want to spend the rest of your life with him, I'll let you. Okay?"

She nodded. As much as I wanted to take back those words, I still leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

"And, it's a wrap!"
Someone said beside us. I turned to find AJ closing a camera and then Melanie grinned at her.

"How did we do?"
She asked.

"Perfect. I was close to shedding tears, baby."
AJ said.

I was utterly confused. I turned from my sister to Melanie for an explanation. She smirked, then laughed. Everyone else was still dancing like they were in lala land.

"What is going on?"
I asked.

Melanie laughed.

"You're a great actress, Mel. I think they will love this."
AJ said and laughed all the way to the bar to get a drink.