CHAPTER 40

Melanie's POV

I sighed and rested my head in my hands, trying to calm my shaking body. I don't need this right now.

All this just has to stop. What did I do wrong?

I waited in the reception area, trying to think of what to do. Aunt Bertha had gone out to make plans for money to pay the bills.

Tears rolled down my eyes when I thought of my little boy in there trying to make it alive. This shouldn't have happened of I had agreed this morning to just take him to the movies after school. If I had been there with him, this wouldn't have happened.

This is my fault.

" this is my fault." I said out loud.

"It is not your fault."
AJ said to me. I had forgotten that she had been the one to bring me to the hospital.

She had actually offered to pay the bills but I shunned her help. I didn't want anything from them. I still don't want anything from them.

And to think of it, how am I sure they don't have a hand in this anyway. Besides, my life was in place before all of them swam into it like bees to honey.

Including Derrick.

"What am I going to do? I can't lose TJ. I can't lose him. I will go mad if I do."
I said to Lala.

She nodded sympathetically and looked up to the direction Kendrick had gone. I wonder why, for the life of me, she had to come with the least person I needed to see. Oy won't take long for the rest of the family to run in. Twp of them are already here, anyway
All of them will soon be here.

"Where is he?"
The voice said and my head shot up like a rabbit. I turned to find Derrick walking into the reception area with Lucas behind him.

Speak of the devil.

Derrick walked up to me and I stood up to face him. The last time o saw him was the night he waited for me outside my school Two weeks ago, just to talk to me. I refused and pushed him away. I even had to act dramatic like I had been robbed, attracting the attention of the security.

"Where the fuck is he, Melanie?"

This is the first time, he has called my name like that.

"What are you doing here?"

"I . . . called him." AJ said.

"I'm sorry, madam. But did I let you here just so you can turn to radio Nigeria for me?"
I asked her.

"Mel."
Lala said.

"No. I don't want any of them close to me and my family again. How am I sure you didn't do this to him?"
I said, looking straight at Derrick.

"What was that?"
He asked.

"Melanie, you have to calm down."
Lucas said.

"Don't tell me to calm down, Lucas. What are they doing here? I don't want any of them close to my family again. They are bad news!"

"Please, this a hospital, madam. Tune down your voice, we have patients here."
The nurse at the counter said.

I folded my arms and frowned, staring at nothing in particular. Before I knew it, Jamal walked in with Mayor.

Great. Just great.

"TJ is my son, Melanie. You've had your fill of attitude towards me and I won't let that extend to my son. How can you be so insensitive to keep me out of this?"