○ TWENTY- NINE ○

○ TWENTY- NINE ○

I watched with sadness as Jared and Erik each thanked their guests for coming to their mother's funeral and sharing in their grief. As the final guest walked out, I walked towards Erik and took his hand.

He squeezed it.

"How are you holding up?" I asked quietly.

Erik inclined his head towards me as I spoke, still watching his brother. "Better than he is," he replied.

Jared picked up all the plates left and walked into the kitchen. Touching Erik's shoulder lovingly, I let go of his hand and followed Jared.

He was leaning on the bench, the dishes he'd picked up were in the sink. His eyes were staring out of the window. "Jared?" I asked quietly.

Startled, he turned around. "Sorry, I didn't hear you come in," he replied before giving a nervous chuckle.

It faded quickly.

"I'm so very sorry for your loss," I said, still walking towards him.

His eyes began to water and I reached him, pulling him into a hug. He hugged back tightly, as his body shuddered.

I didn't know Jared too well, but he was a Detective and a man that looked built of iron. To see him cry would've been rare, but here he was, crying on my shoulder. He squeezed me tightly and I heard Erik enter the kitchen.

"Mum would've been very happy with the funeral," Erik said, cautiously.

Jared pulled away, wiping his face on the tea towel he picked up from the bench. The brother's looked at each other and I watched, a little worried.

With the subject of their mother, neither man sat well with each other. "You believe so?" Jared asked, his voice still clogged with tears.

Studying Erik, I saw him tighten up. "Jared, we might disagree on a few things and I know my situation with our mother hurt you, but please don't think I don't love you because you're my brother, of course I love you," he started to say.

Jared started to shake his head.

"No, hear me out, please?" Erik asked softly.

I wanted to disappear because this was a moment for them but Erik was blocking the doorway and if I asked him to move, he might break whatever courage he had when he started this.

Jares didn't reply but looked down, giving Erik permission to continue.

"I've been a shitty son and more so a terrible brother, I've hurt the people I love because of my overflated ego and there's nothing I can do to rectify what I've done to Mum, I now have to live with that guilt forever, never able to tell her that I am sorry, but you and I don't have to be like that," Erik said stepping forward, his arms gesturing as he spoke.

I didn't know if I should look away or not.

"Do you know how many times I wish I could just stop being an asshole and tell you how proud I am to be your brother? When you graduated the Academy and I didn't go, it was because I was so jealous that you were such an extrodinary man that could literally do anything and there I was, still playing assistant to my father's teachings," he continued.

Jared's eyed widened as he watched his brother ramble. "But we've only got each other now, so we have to look after each other and the point I'm trying to get to is the fact that I want to call a truce, wave the white flag if I can," Erik finished, moving out of the doorway.

I slowly inched towards it.

"Never once in my entire lifetime have you ever admitted you weren't perfect, what changed?" Jared asked, a frosty tone set.

Erik sighed. "I did, I changed, I don't give a hell of a lot about work anymore, I just want to spend time with my brother and my girlfriend," he replied, sounding down and a little broken.

"And you're calling for a peace treaty?"  Jared asked, his eyes sliding to mine.

"No, I'm asking for a brotherhood," Erik replied, holding his arm out.

I looked away and Jared stepped forward. Taking a sneak glance, Jared swung his arm and clasped Erik's forearm tightly. "Welcome back to Earth, brother, glad you could make it" he said calmly.

Erik pulled him forward and clasped him into a manly hug, patting Jared on the back.

Jared's eyes met mine again and this time I didn't look away. I just gave him a friendly smile as I waited for Erik to pull away.

He didn't.  "Shall I wait in the car?" I asked quietly.

The brothers broke and cleared their throats. "No of course not, I'm coming," Erik said, turning his head to speak to me before facing Jared again.

"I hope wherever she is, I hope she knows that we love her, even if we had our fights," Erik said to Jared.

He agreed.

"I'll see around Erik," Jared said with a hint of smile.

Erik nodded his head. "And please know you are welcome at my office anytime," Erik replied.

Jared nodded his head and gestured a goodbye towards me which I returned. Taking my hand, Erik led me from the house and to his car.

It rumbled to life as my seatbelt clicked in. "That was certainly something I wasn't expecting," I said, glancing over at the handsome man driving.

He shrugged one shoulder. "I think it was about time, honestly it should've been sooner," he replied.

Headlights streamed into the window from cars passing by, the stereo softly singing in the background. Erik rested one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the gear stick.

"Well for what it's worth, I think he honestly appreciated the speech you gave," I said into the cool car.

Erik turned his head to look at me. Reachimg across, he grabbed my hand and held it. "You make me better and I'm so thankful to you, I want you to know that I'm in this one hundred percent and in it for the long run," he said, squeezing my hand gently.

"I know," I replied, smiling as he turned onto the freeway.

A/N

I know! :(

It's been soooo long since I updated and I do apologise!
Work has been... so. Goddamn. Busy.
But now I have a few days off so here's to more chapters.

Anywho, so Erik and Jared make peace on behalf of their mother. How long do you think it will it last?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Lots and lots of love, Tavana xoxoxox