19

Klaus was now in the water and swam over to Caroline, who was floating around.

"If I didn't know any better I would say you were avoiding me."

"I'm not avoiding you." Caroline said, stop floating, looking at him as she crossed her arms.

"Then you don't mind me swimming with you." Klaus smirked.

"I was actually going to the towel, so..." Caroline said and tried to leave but he grabbed her arm, making her stop and turn around to face him.

"Love, we've established before that you are a bad liar. That didn't change. Why are you avoiding me?"

"You know very well why." Caroline whispered, making Klaus sigh.

"Rebekah doesn't love to see us spending time together

"Rebekah doesn't love to see us spending time together. So what? You said we were still friends."

"And we are." Caroline whispered.

"Friends do not avoid each other." Klaus said and Caroline was hating how Klaus was full of arguments she couldn't deny or argue with.

"I know..." Caroline whispered. "I just... I'm trying to figure out how it will be our friendship from now on."

"Why not keep being like we have been until now?"

"Because we can't." Caroline whispered and left the river.

She walked over to a place where no one was because she needed time and space to think about things but Klaus followed her.

"Love, you can't just leave a conversation like that. You told me you wouldn't walk away from my life. Was that a lie? Because I think step one to achieve that is to avoid me." Klaus said upset because he couldn't believe that when he opened up to someone, that person would leave him.

"Klaus, I don't want to walk away from your life. Believe me. I just... We can't be friends like before. We can't sleep on the same bed anymore. We can't flirt with each other anymore. We can't be the way we were..."

"Why not?"

"Because that's not a platonic friendship." Caroline said frustrated.

"I don't know about you but I don't flirt with my friends, I don't sleep in the same bed as my friends and I don't cuddle with them." Caroline said.

"So our friendship is different... What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that our friendship could be moving towards something more and I can't let that happen. I told you before, I won't hurt a friendship because of a guy. Even if the guy is you." Caroline whispered.