74

It was finally the day Bonnie was gonna have a conversation with her mother and Kol made Bonnie agree on them having a sign in case Bonnie would need help to get out of the situation, so the sign would be her coughing.

Bonnie was very nervous, in fact she was terrified of this lunch she decided to agree to have with her mom. It's been so many years and she had a million questions running through her head.

"Hey Bonnie! I hope you haven't been waiting for me for a long time." Her mother said once she got to the place they were gonna have lunch.

"I've been used to waiting around." Bonnie said more to herself, thinking about her childhood waiting for her mother to come back with some good excuse about her leaving for hours, which turn into days and then into years.

"I'm truly sorry, Bonnie. I know what I did is awful. But I'm trying to do better." Her mom said.

"Being here is already an improvement." Bonnie said more to herself, unable to control herself from saying what she was thinking.

"I'm here to try to be better. I even thought I could take you to my place, which is also yours and cook us something to eat..." Her mother said.

"Just... stop it, okay?" Bonnie said because after so many years without her mother, she couldn't act like everything was fine, but her mother simply gave her a confused look. "Stop acting like everything's alright. Stop with the whole eating for my daughter act. You left us."

"I know I did

"I know I did. But I'm trying to make amends."

"Why it took you so long?"

"As time passed by, I felt that I had lost my chance to be with you but maybe I was wrong."

"And you couldn't even send a stupid card for my birthdays? You couldn't even send a letter explaining why you left? Why did you leave? Why didn't you say anything?" Bonnie asked upset.

"I felt like the life I had was a lie. I tried to act like how people expect me to and I didn't felt happy. I love you so much. I loved you even before you were born... but there was something not right with me. I felt unhappy and I felt I wasn't good enough to do this whole mom thing..."

"What made you change your mind?" Bonnie asked.

"Well, I wasn't gonna tell you this today but I don't want you to think that I'm lying to you so I guess I'll tell you now... A few years after I left, I got a new life where I felt I could be whatever I want and, one day, I found this little boy that had no place to go, so I took him in and he is been my family ever since."

"So... what you are trying to tell me is that you've been a mother to this kid you've met God knows where while I, your biological daughter, had to grow up without a mom and wonder what I had done that would make you leave me, my dad and my grandma." Bonnie said, upset with her eyes watery, as she tried to not cry.

"I tried so many times but when it came to it, I lost my guts to do it. I felt that maybe you would be better off without me." Her mother said.

"And grandma? Have you even kept touch with her?" Bonnie asked and saw her mother look down. "Where were you when Grandma had an heart attack?"

"What? She... She had an heart attack?"

"You didn't know..." Bonnie said and her mother shook her head in denial. "Well, she's better now, she just needs to take some medication for her heart condition."

"I try but I can't understand why you would do this... And to why come back now..." Bonnie said.

She made the signal for Kol to make an excuse so she could leave, making Kol quickly get up and go to the table

"Hey! Bonnie... I can't believe you're here."

"Hey!" Bonnie said.

"I'm Abby." Bonnie's mom presented herself, mto knowing if Bonnie wanted to let other people to know that she was her mother.

"Nice to meet you. I'm sorry to interrupt your thing but I really need to take Bonnie to the campus. I heard they are fumigating the campus so we need to go and get our stuff."

"They are doing that in the middle of the year?" Abby asked confused.

"They are doing a few dorm rooms per time because of too much toxics being in the air. Anyway, Bonnie, I think you should go." Kol said.

"Of course. Thank you." Bonnie said.

"Bonnie!" Abby called her once Bonnie got up and was ready to leave, but stopped and turn to her mother when heard her call her.

"Yeah?"

"Maybe we could repeat this another time... what do you say?"

"Maybe." Bonnie said with a small smile but it was noticeable that her eyes showed only sadness.

Once Kol and Bonnie left the place, Kol tried to talk with Bonnie to see what happened but Bonnie didn't felt like talking.

"Come on, darling! Maybe talking would help." Kol said.

"Talking about what? About how my mom had to wait 15 years to talk to me? How I spent 15 birthdays without her? Without even a stupid card saying happy birthday? How she was never there for me in the big moments? How my grandma was a mother to me because my own mother preferred to raise a kid she didn't know?" Bonnie asked, unable to fight back her tears and Kol hugged her, it was like an instinct.

Kol never felt he was good in this kind of situations because it was always his brother Elijah who knew how to comfort others, Kol was more the party guy, the one you would go to when you would want to have fun at a party, get drunk or maybe high... But Kol could see Bonnie needed him and so he tried his best to not ruin it because there was something about her that made him try to be his best self, and finding again that vulnerable side he hadn't been in touch with ever since his ex.

AN: Hey guys! I hope it was an okay chapter. I felt that I couldn't make Bonnie be forgiving to her mother right away. I am trying to stay true to her character but also make these situations be somehow realistic, although I never had to go through something like this. Anyway, I hope you stay safe. Love you guys!