Chapter 10

I wasn't allowed to use the Animans magic in class, I wasn't even allowed to bring it up actually, so I cut into my self study to figure out just how to use it. Surprisingly the many books Vixen had given me were very helpful- or, well, the ones I could read. Most were in that strange language I can't figure out.

       I actually brought it to my language teacher, who still refused to tell us the name of said language, I got the same confused response. He couldn't even point me in the direction of a teacher that taught it. I, of course, continued to ask language and other teachers to try to figure out what it was but the same response just started to pile up. So that meant one thing. 

      I needed the help of the worlds most hated. And Vixen wasn't easy to contact as I've learned. The reset class practice was very helpful as leads did seem to pay all that much attention to rogues, their attention in front of them. Looking around the corner carefully I watched as Miss H carried a pile of paperwork as she talked with the earth elite. Walking away from her office.

      Silently waiting for them to disappear down the hall I swiftly moved to her door, trying the knob before finding it was locked as expected. Pulling out the picks I had gotten for my class study I kneeled in front of it and carefully slid them into the lock. Wiggling them until it clicked, a little embarrassed by how bad I was at it I closed the door behind me, locking it as I slide the picks into my pocket.

        Quickly looking through her messy office I looked for the communication crystal I knew she used last time. Digging through her many draws I didn't find the right one, my attention drifting to her bookshelf as I slid one back into place. Rushing over I slide my hands along the top of the books looking for the possibility that it was hidden behind them.

       I didn't find the crystal but I did find a thin string with a small metal ring on the end. Blinking in surprise, I pulled it, the tile next to me disappearing into the one I was on while my eyes lit up, having found what I was looking for. Kneeling in front of the large open space in the floor I looked through the dusty cabinet.

        Pulling out the black crystal I grinned in triumph, pocketing it. Pulling the tile back over I paused as I saw a familiar word. Animans. Brushing off the dusty book I opened it only to be trumped by my lack of linguistic skills. It wasn't in the strange characters of the other books but I still didn't know what it said.

        Looking at the other old books, only the title being readable. Mana Pools. Demon Adaptation. Dragon Magic. Curses. Potions. Dual Wielders. Magic Weapons. Eight books. Eight really old books in a strange language. As I looked at one the doorknob turned and I stiffened. Already?

      Quickly shoving the books into my bag I slide the tile in place as the key slid into the lock. As the doorknob jingled I looked around as no matter how messy it was in here there was no place to hide. I didn't want to get branded as a traitor or executed for trying to learn! My gaze falling on the small window at the top of the bookshelf. Oh, sweet sugar plum.

       Biting my lip I backed up and rushed forward, kicking off the chair and grabbed the top shelve, pulling myself up as the door opened. Oh stars. Oh stars. Oh stars. Quitely opening the window as she walked in I went to slip out but her conversation had me hesitating.

       "She has to participate like everyone else but I think we should show her how to at least properly blew potions, she'll die out there without something that evens the field, especially with that dual wielder participating this year," She sighed turning to look at the healing elite who just crossed her arms. Dual wielder?

        "Showing favoritism will only make it worse, my team will be at the ready throughout the entire tournament, no one will die. She might get hurt a little in the first round but after that, she'll be out and there won't be a reason to worry." The tournament? We haven't even finished the first semester and they're already preparing for that? I guess that means they're hosting this year.

       Peaking out the window to see how high it was I found the third floor was not the best place to jump out a window. Okay. Plan B. At the thought a magic circle glowed on the wall while I slide out the window. The dragon popping out of the summons I've recently learned, releasing the window seal I fell onto the glass dragon with a quite 'umph'.

        My dragon was growing as fast as ever as I could now glide on its back, flying wasn't easy but with it reaching my waist it was able to get me out of high places. Like right now. The moment we were on the ground I swung my leg off and placed my hands on my forearms, swiftly pulling them until my fingertips brushed. 

       The circle disappearing and the summoning canceling, the dragon going back to my room where the other circle was while I looked around to make sure no one saw me. Quickly jogging along the wall I made my way back to my room as unsuspicious as possible.

       I'd gotten it, I got the crystal. I could contact her and finally figure out just what these said.

In celebration of my submitting this story to the 2019 Watty Awards have a chapter and be ready for another! See you my lazies and lethargics~