Chapter 55

Staring at the still shrieking cub while it flared its useless wings I tapped my finger on the large glass bowl. An owlbear's wings are purely for display, they could move them an such but they weren't big or strong enough to fly. Only used to intimidate others and to impress females during mating season.

       And this little thing has been trying to scare me off since I let it out of my shirt. It was cute, but it still had claws and a rather sharp beak so I wasn't going to risk it. I couldn't really feed it while it screamed at me so I've been waiting for it to finally tire itself out. Which took a few more minutes.

        Putting the smashed berries in front of me I watched as it noticed what it was and slowly made its way over. Snatching the bowl it scampered back to the corner and gobbled it down as fast as it could. It also should me how despite having a beak there were teeth in it. From the glimsp I got they were rather bearlike.

         Owlbears were the strange beasts. Sighing I gently kicked the other bowl to the corner as it too was devoured just as fast. Those berries were to remind me that the world wasn't as cruel as it was but I just had to go and find one of the stronger beasts as nothing but a cub.

       I couldn't even leave it in my room. Glancing at some thick curtains I had originally planned to use as silks I looked back at the beast before raising both brows. That was something I could do.

         "Do you just live to do the freakiest things dude?" Jay asked while Adrian held his finger out only to get swiped at again. 

        "Do I look thrilled about this?" I asked flatly while he opened his mouth before closing it and weighing the answer.

        "No,"

        "Can you please just help me? I have to dismantle-"

       "Do you even know how to dismantle something?" Adrain asked cutting me off without looking away from the growling cub. 

        "I planned to ask Jay to help with that," His head snapped up as he realized I was asking him to watch the thing.

          "I don't babysit," 

        "Not even if I were to... I don't know, lend you my thaumaturgy notes?" I asked holding up the largest of my notebooks while he narrowed his eyes.

         "You think you can bribe me?" He scoffed snatching it while he opened it, "I doubt they're any different from mine-" He fell silent while he stared at them for a long while. 

      "I have more," I smirked smugly raising the other two, which he quietly took.

       "... Okay, so bribery works, how am I supposed to take care of something that tries to eat me every time I get close?" 

       "Take it for a walk, I made sure it can't get near you if you don't want it too," I hummed satisfied while I offered him the stick attached to the harness that was very very difficult to get on it. "Jay, you do know how to dismantle animals right?"

         "I mean, did you think just 'cause my family's into hunting I'd know?" He asked with his arms crossed and brow raised, all sassy like while I couldn't help but smile as my brows rows.

        "Was my assumption wrong?" He narrowed his eyes at me while I bit my lip as my smile grew to a grin. He looked like an angry kitten. 

       "No," He huffed, "But Ryan gets something and I don't want to be left out-" He shut his trap fast as I plucked a potion from my belt and wiggled it in front of him.

       "Body strengthing potion, impossible to buy and impossible to reproduce, hit the front line like a storm, but you already know I'm the one that makes them and this one's for a wind user like you, now, are you willing to help me or do I have to sweeten the deal?" 

       "... How sweet we talking?" Chuckling I tossed the vial at him, which he fumbled to catch as it was very very expensive and I couldn't care less if it broke.

       "I've got a fun experimental potion I'll be making with ingredients we'll be collecting, one that'll be worth more than your entire house," His eyes widened as another greedy boy looked up from the notebooks he was reading. "Yes yes, you'll get one too, but that also means I can freely experiment on you boys,"

       "That sounds shady,"

       "It is shady,"