Chapter 74

"Back to back fights? They really are trying to kill you," Alex sighed putting his hands on his hips while I shifted my weight from foot to foot. He didn't know how to pull his punches. And one was enough to send me flying. Alex was one of the best in close combat, with or without a weapon, which was a problem for me. "I don't want to hurt you,"

       "I also don't want you to hurt me," I said curling my lips in my mouth while he chuckled lightly, the horn blowing and neither of us moving. I was not going into the danger zone and he was best on defense.

        "Lilith..." He rolled his eyes mildly scolding, "I thought you wanted to win?"

       "I do, obviously I do, but that does not mean I'm suicidal," I scowled at him while he crossed his arms and gave me a mom look.

      "Are you not going to come at me?"

      "That's right," Narrowing his eyes, the gentle giant not so gentle.

     "I guess that means I have to go to you,"

     "I guess," We stared at each other for a long moment before were we both sprinting. Him at me and me away from him.

      "Lilith! If you're going to run just give up!" He complained while I threw an 'okay sure' look over my shoulder at him. He was strong and skilled with speed to make and a decent thing between his ears not to mention he had really good stamina.

       He was the meaning of a perfect soldier. But he got that stamina from what he had to do in class. I went out of my way to workout after class. And I was faster. Thank the stars that I was faster. So, I just had to run. Why fight when I can run in circles? 

     "You can't run forever!" Snorting I remained just a few steps ahead of him, enough to outrun him but not drain myself more than I needed to.

     "Not forever! Just three hours!" I heard his footsteps falter as I glanced over my shoulder, wide realizing eyes finding his face as he slowed to a stop. I stopped a good distance away, in case it was a ruse.

       "You know how long I can run," He pointed out slowly while I raised a brow.

      "I also how far and how fast, you, my friend, have been beating me into the dirt since the beginning of the year, don't think I haven't ever thought of a way to actually win along with every other student," 

       "You can't possibly be serious, we have thousands of students,"

       "And I don't sleep, what's your point?" Our staring continued while he licked his lips rubbing under them while his other hand found his hip.

       "I can't outrun you, I know that, I doubt I can just wait for your stamina to drain, I'd probably lose that race too, why aren't you fighting fair?"

      "Excuse me? Fighting fair? Alex! You're like four of me! There is not fighting fair! It's a one hit KO! This is me leveling the field!" 

      "But I want to win," He whined lightly while I waved my arms at his sudden immaturity. "Come on! This was the one thing I knew I could beat you in! I hard;y did anything this entire tournament and planned to use this to shine!" 

    "No! I'm not going to just get you beat me half to death because you're way better at fighting!" I shrieked at the absurd implications.

      "But this is a fighting event! You have to fight!"

      "Then come and catch me!" We glared at the other for a very long moment before he lunged into a run, I didn't hesitate to do the same, something catching my ankles as my eyes widened. Not part of the plan. Not part of the plan. Not part of the plan.

      "I know you just as well you sneaky little snake," He smirked pulling my up by whatever it was locked around my ankles. "I also know, you run, always have, every class, now, admit defeat,"

      "So you distracted me?! What kind of barbarian plays mind games?!" I screeched struggling to free my legs.

      "Really? You wanna go into stereotypes? You? Little miss, I've broken every standing stereotype there it?"

      "... You don't have to sound so condescending," 

      "Admit defeat or lose a few teeth," What a hard decision... I could regrow the teeth with the help of a healer but the off chance I passed out in his little frenzy was high, however... Did I want to admit defeat? Was I willing to lose? No. No, I was not.

       "Well, this was swell and all, but you're going to have to beat me unconscious to win," 

      "Do you have to be so stubborn? I really don't want to have to hurt you," He sighed while I snorted, he had no problem beating me into the ground in class.

       "Yes,"

      "Are you sure?"

      "Uh huh,"

     "Alright..."