Chapter 21

"Wow, I was expecting this to be harder," I said with my brows furrowed, the group I had rescued from capture huddled by our fire while I stared at then, this would be the twenty third group we helped. I get them back on their feet and release them with the equipment they'd need to continue to avoid their hunter. With a few tips and some hints, only one of the teams were collected. 

      "Don't jinx us," Alex warned pointing at me in an accusing manner while I rolled my eyes.

       "Well, our hunter should have caught up to us today, even with the many things we've done to prevent that, rogues aren't so easily fooled by tricks so he should have caught up and if he's not currently watching us then he's likely doing something else. Be vigilant he may be setting up a trap," I said looking around as I put two and two together. 

      He had to have found us. No doubt in that. However, if he hasn't made a move to capture us he's either watching, waiting for nightfall or setting up a trap. All of which would be a bother to deal with while we cared for baggage.

       "You're making that face again, who're you insulting this time?" Glancing at Adrian I looked away silently clearing my throat. I think I understood what annoyingly perspective people were like now.

      "I don't know what you mean,"

      "Uh huh, sure you don't,"

      "Don't help him," they just smirked and went back to doing the jobs I gave them, knowing they won while I scowled at them. "Just watch your backs before-" A familiar explosion went off not even two hundred meters to our left, my hand shooting up to my lips to quiet the group huddled around our fire. Even if we put it out now our location was already out there might as well let them collect the last bit of warmth.

      "You didn't set up any traps did you?" Came the quiet call of Alex while he grabbed his obsidian sword, which was a pain to make might I add.

       "Not any that explode," I shook my head crouching as I licked my lips looking around for my dragon, which should be out looking for another group.

        "Up the tree, now," Adrian ordered to the group who obeyed with bitter looks, orders not something leads take well. Another explosion went off while I inched around a tree to see if I would see anything. I need that dragon. The thought had the bright blue circle glowing by my feet as it appeared with a shrill and many broken parts.

       Staring wide eyed I put my hands on the shattered limbs and cracked body of my dragon. He wants to take out the biggest threat first. And I just called it to me. "Oh gods..." I groaned as I started to put the beast back together. "Cover me he's headed this way!" I shouted as my brows furrowed at just how slow the glass was at repairing.

        I can't fix it in time. We'll get caught. We'll fail. I'll fail. No, I refuse to fail, I'm acing this test, I have to. I'm a Windsor and Windsor don't lose. But how do I prevent it? My potions won't be enough to stop a pro, even if he didn't have some of them, I didn't know any alchemy and my magic circles were basic at best. I needed another beast. One stronger. One smarter. One that only knows how to listen.

      But how? How did I make the dragon, to begin with?

      "A little help!" Shouted Adrian as I heard the shattering of Alex's sword, my gaze snapping to them and a dagger wielding hunter who was grinning like a fool. Alex's sword reforming at a drop of my attention and he continued to use it like it didn't break to begin with. I can use it at will but how did I make it alive? Does it even have to be alive?

      Something clicked as I removed my hands from the dragon, my breath catching in my throat as my chest ached, my knees finding the ground while I sucked in a sharp breath. They don't have to be alive, they just need to not break, they just have to follow orders.

      Two black features forming while I clutched my shirt, my chest burning wildly, the tall humanoid creatures faceless as there long arms reached their knees, their fingers claws and their shoulders slumped. "Stop him!" I gasped, my chest heaving while sweat poured down my face not quite sure while they came in obsidian but knowing it was stronger than the other glass I made.

      "Damn," I hissed pulling my shirt open to see if I was wounded, which I wasn't. Looking back up I watched as they rabidly swiped at the man who seemed bothered. "We need to go," I snapped, those in the trees climbing down while my teammates glanced between me and the fight, with a bounce in their step they turned and ran over. Alex scooping me up and Adrian snatching my bag.

       As they ran I watched the dagger crash right through one, the shattered glass climbing its body to return to where it belonged, his jaw clenching as he was forced back. With a glare, he turned tail and ran, the two rushing after at an inhuman speed. All three gone from my sight in a second.