Chapter 76

I feel like I'm gonna do one of those cruel endings that don't even feel like ending but all of a sudden the story says it's complete and you're left wondering if you missed something... Last chapter! Woohoo... Sorry if the ending sucks.

       "I forfeit," He called raising his hand while I was left blinking in shock, that was not was I was expecting

       "I forfeit," He called raising his hand while I was left blinking in shock, that was not was I was expecting. I was thinking I'd be losing at least one more tooth today.

       "Is there a reason?" I asked looking at him suspiciously while he glanced at me, already exiting the stage while the crowd booed.

       "Did you not do the same last we fought?" No, I was going to lose and didn't feel like getting more bruises, "Doesn't matter, I wouldn't win, you know what I'm going to do before I do, I'd rather save my energy," I feel like there's an ulterior motive. "And one should never attempt violence towards the one they're courting," Son of a-

       You just had to say that with the seven kingdoms as witnesses didn't you? Glaring at him while he threw a careless wave over his shoulder I held in my urge to strangle him. I can't just ignore him now. Everyone knows. Ooooh, you sly fox of a fu-

     "Lilith! The first place for the first years!" Screamed the announcer as I huffed now wishing I got to hit him at least once. Once would have been enough. Give up one thing to get the other. His families not even gonna be mad about it, he still got second and told every living soul in our kingdoms that he was courting me. Scaring off any other that even thought to attempt courting.

       He was from a very powerful family, showed skill, strength, smarts, and stamina, and that personality of his would scare off anyone that thought they could stand a chance. He just destroyed any possibility of me finding someone else. And I can't fix that. Not unless I shut that shit down in an equally populated place. Which is nearly impossible to do properly.

       I've been put in a box. I've been put in a box. They must be desperate to get the merger. I doubt he came up with it on his own, being the puppet he is, but when would they have time to tell him to do such a thing? We haven't been allowed visitors since we started so we had to come up with our very own strategies but he doesn't think like that.

       Forfeiting because I had done so last time? Within reason. Saying something like that? No. Not his idea. So when? Grinding my teeth I moved to leave the arena, running through when so I could find out who. The week continuing, the years each getting their own day, as I tried to put it together.

        Mainly using it to put off other things. Shhh... Think...

       He could have technically gotten it from a healer. Ooh... That was actually very possible. Reapers' had their hooks in many smaller families and not by relation but by buying out their land. Who'd he fight? Adrain obviously but he wasn't good enough to injure him bad enough where he'd need a healer.

        There was the kid from Wildcat but I didn't know much about her, I had just glanced at her in passing so I didn't know all too much. Assuming she did injure him just enough for a healer than, if they were a part of one of the smaller families in their control, an order could have gotten through. 

      Which is good information to have, leverage if you will. Leverage I'll need. Leverage I plan to look into more. I wasn't one to be put in a box. It pissed me off to be put in a box. So, I'll prevent any and all future possibilities of just that. Can't contain me if I stuffed you in a one first.

      Watching as the final points were tallied I bit the inside of my lip, patiently waiting. They were being ranked backward. And patiently turned into not so patient as my foot tapped wildly, my elbows on my knees and hands linked under nose, my thumbs resting under my chin.

       I had to wait. My fate in the hands of the announcer. 

Lilith A. Windsor- 1st in year one, 6th overall

       I didn't make it. I wasn't in the top five. My heart sank as I looked to my father, a displeased but ultimately satisfied look on his face. My mother shrieking in pride as she crushed me in her arms. He wasn't screaming. He wasn't yelling. He wasn't mad. But why? I've failed as a Windsor, but he was only mildly disappointed.

      "Better luck next year, yes?" He asked with a raised brow, leaning back in his seat to watch the rest of the ranks. "You've at least gotten a real uniform," the distaste in the way he said it and the roll of the eyes had my breath catching in my throat.

       He was mad. More so with how little I've accomplished before the tournament. He didn't comment on my failings directly. I'm safe. Letting out the breath I was holding I hugged my mother back as she was still squealing, her grip as tight as ever. I'm safe.

       He wasn't kicking me out. I had another chance. And I wasn't going to waste it.