Chapter 67

It wasn't one person. It was five mostly hidden in the underbrush next to a griffin cage. Its beak was muzzled and claws hidden under mittens but that was a griffin. Even without its weapons, it could kill. Following the chain around its neck, I found it was coiled around a very thick tree. 

       The relatively calm beast suddenly shot its head up, keen eyes looking around, ears twitching as my breath caught in my throat, my back planting onto the thick tree I was in. It knew. My heart beat furiously against my ribcage as I took by the thought that I could do this myself. I couldn't even do this with a team. 

       That was a griffin. Only the rangers stood a- rangers. Dyeth. Dyeth was a ranger. One who's used to large beasts. But how long would he be? Could he get past the puppets? A twig snapped as my gaze snapped down the trail, my luck not that good.

     Alex. Crap. He was going to get himself killed. What do I do? I can't give myself away. They're already opening the cage. Crap. Crap! Crap! Tsking I snapped a potion off my belt and threw it long. It shattered against a tree not far from the cage, the teachers jumping in surprise just as it sparked.

      The lightning crackling before lighting up each of them. Their backs going rigid as their limbs trembled at the electricity. The griffin shrieking into its muzzle while its wings spasmed. Go. Go. Go. Go. Go. Go. Go. Go. I was out of the tree with a roll, all could see me as I sprinted, adrenaline rushing through my body as I hissed, a crackle of electricity burning my arm.

      Pulling it to my body I cursed, knowing I shouldn't have used something still in its testing phase. A large strike getting a hold of my leg. Crying out as I tripped, my leg convulsing while I hissed. 

         "What the-"

        "Run!" I shouted not waiting for him to finish, his slow jog picking up in a second as he didn't even have to think at the order. He snatched me in a second, sprinting like his life depended on it while he looked over his shoulder. The half open cage being slammed into by the furious griffin that recovered way faster than I planned.

       "I thought we said no reckless decisions?!" I chuckled weakly over his shoulder, my arm still in my grip. 

        "I didn't think they'd go and bring out a griffin," Grunting as his shoulder dug into my stomach at a sudden snap of a stop. Looking over my shoulder my eyes widened as I paled. More than a griffin. More than a griffin!

        "That's a-"

         "Yes! Now fucking run!" The manticore roaring as it's thick body pulled free of the cage it was in. It's large leather wings opening, the quills in its mane rising while I practically died inside. Why not a lion? Lions are just as cute. And they can't fly or poison you.

      "Are they trying to kill us?!" He shrieked stumbling to turn around and run. A pissed griffin diving in a second, the chain on its neck barely catching it while he fell on his ass, dropping me, the manticore rushing us with an equal thirst for our blood. I should have waited.

    "Run. Run. Run. Run," I put on repeat as I darted along the line just out of both their reach, Alex lurching to follow. What do we do? How could anyone get past this? Are they even trying to let anyone through this year? Fumbling with the potions on my belt I bit my lip, not having anything that could work. 

      "We're going to die here,"

     "Stop it," I hissed ripping off my jacket and throwing it at him, glaring at the protected crystal watching our every move. We couldn't hear the announcer anymore but I knew he had to be going wild over one thing or another.

      "Why aren't you wearing a shirt?" He asked covering his eyes as I rolled mine. Looking for the small vial of blood I should have had on me I ground my teeth as I couldn't find it. 

     "I'm covered," I snapped pulling a knife no bigger than my pinky from my belt while he peaked just to make sure. Vixen had given me a small shirt I didn't originally understand but there was a note telling me it was a 'bra' of the sports variety, she said it'd make physical activity easier.

      It was currently the only thing keeping the seven kingdoms from seeing my chest bare. "What in the world is that? It's so impractical,"

      "Shut it, it's covering what it needs too, now, I'm about to do something I hope gets us through this," Hissing as I cut open my hand I looked at the sky putting my bloodied hand to the circle on my stomach. I need you. I need to beat this. Please, I'm begging you.

      My breath could in my throat painfully so as I gasp for air, my throat burning and stomach clenching while it lit a flame. Coughing as I collapsed to all fours, blood heaving from my stomach as I cried out, it was hot. And it was getting hotter.

       "Lilith!" Alex cried while my coughing didn't stomach, breathing impossible as my eyes blurred and my stomach emptied all the while. My hands cracking as I whimpered, my ears itching and my lower back straining. "What's happening? Lilith? Lilith!"