Chapter 70

Let's talk tail for a moment, it's originally from a canine, but, it has feline traits to it. It flicks when she's irritated and the like. So, I'll explain the difference between wagging and flicking around. Wagging happens at the base of the tail, flicking at the tip. That's all there is to it.

 That's all there is to it

       Nothing. I couldn't find a thing on holy beast merging. I was forced into the next event merged. And it was one that involved hands. Twenty students made it to the next round, not even half of the targeted goal. Jay didn't make and Adrain wouldn't tell me how he got through. Though he paused in his step when he saw me, he took it in stride and didn't even comment. Acting like his usual self minus skinship. He had tried but Alex had swooped in to save him. 

        It was groups of two and I didn't even glance at them because I couldn't work with them. I needed a fire user if I wanted a chance at winning. And I happened to know one that has no possibility of being able to group up.

       Putting my hand on the back of his neck as he was hiding in his many layers I earned a surprised jolt as he pulled away grabbing where I had touched. Watching him carefully, I waited for any signs of burns but he just stared back, taking in the new look.

       "Good, I don't burn you," I said, a crooked grin pulling at my lips, I still had a chance. "Now how much of this do you understand?" I asked while he rubbed the back of his neck with one of his fingers, the rest of his hand relaxing against it.

       "I wouldn't say that didn't burn," He said looking me over again as if he didn't understand. "... It's a team exercise, they want to make sure you didn't use anyone in the last round and actually have the skills to work with another. From what I've gathered we'll be placed in some sort of trap and we have to escape," He said without commenting on the obvious. He also held eye contact. Fascinating.

      "You've met the merger from the eighth kingdom," I stated, my grin growing and tail wagging lightly. "What's he like? I can't imagine him being pleasant," 

      "... I think mergers all have unpleasant personalities," He deadpanned while my brows bounced up for a moment. I probably deserved that. Ever encounter we've had I openly read him, something I doubt he's used to. 

      "Fair, now, back to the point, I think you're mostly right but I doubt it's that easy. The way I'm being stared at means I'm expected to show off," I said absentmindedly staring at the earth elite who had a superior spark in his eyes that matched his openly smug smile. Unusual. That's all that came to mind at seeing it.

       "It's got a knowledge aspect, we already did physical, this is problem solving," I realized just as the ground tremored, my eyes widening as I crouched to stabilize myself.

        "The labyrinth! A set of puzzles in a maze you much escape!" Bringing back a fan favored I see. Rolling my eyes as we were locked in a large box that was supposed to be dark I stood back up, brushing off my pants I glanced at Dyeth who was already on alert and looking around.

      "They didn't tell us if magic was allowed," He pointed out as I sighed with a nod, my fingers brushing against the clay wall.

       "You want to chance it or should we look for a different way?" I asked preoccupied, bringing my tail just above my shoulder, the lantern very helpful. 

       "We'll stick without it for now," Glancing at him, the way he said it silently telling me he was planning to take charge. Which was mildly irritating. "Can you read Otrun?"

       "Is that what it's called?" I asked surprised, having never been told what it was called. He looked at me strangely while I looked over the small squiggles. "Yes, I can read it, leads aren't told its name," I mumbled with a roll of the eyes.

        "What's it say?" Sighing I stared at him flatly for a long while.

        "I'm not fluent, I'm passing," I rolled my eyes, it was a two year course and very complicated. "Wow... Really didn't want to get create did they?" I whistled lowly, a brow arched in mild amusement.

       "What?"

       "Oh don't get your panties in a twist," I snickered, Adrain rubbing off on me far too much, "It's just this isn't the first time they've used this little labyrinth, I just figured they'd at least changed it but no, I don't even have to read the whole thing to know what it says," I sighed looking around the rest of the room, the unused lantern that was suppose to be used to read the wall untouched in the corner.

       "It's something the lead's do to give themselves an advantage. Other than the blazen that was the physical round, I'm actually genuinely surprised by the fact each school got a representative this year," I hummed lighting my own way as I found the smallest of gaps between the small and floor.

        Sliding my claws under it I narrowed my eyes looking for the blasted thing. Hooking it I pulled, the string snapping at the wall grumbled pulling up. "I think Gryphon's got two or three, which is shocking considering how rogues don't have high stamina," I smirked, remembering Felix heaving on the ground, barely passing and practically melting.

       "Aren't you a rogue?" Glancing back at him while he cautiously followed I arched a brow, a smile pulling on my lips.

      "I don't think you understand the difference between a rogue trained as a support and a rogue trained as a lead. I can promise, being stuck with warriors, barbarians, and fighters, all you can do is run as a rogue. The only instructors that understand why I... Have issues with basic lead expectations are the assistant instructors, in other words, the supports,"

       "Lead's have issues with understanding not everyone is the same, so I'm stuck fighting barbarians as if I was a warrior. Frontal attacks aren't really a rogue thing but I have to do them daily and you want to know how I survive?" I asked, he didn't comment but I continued, "I run, a lot, I have to tire them out before I can land even a single hit, so, yes, I'm a rogue but I'm a lead first,"