Chapter 68

Did you know Indonesia's Kawah Ijen volcano spews out blue lava thanks to its incredibly high levels of sulfur? I just thought that was a fun fact for those that plan to dis the totally probable color of lava that is to come.

      Hurts...! Whimpering I clawed at the ground, my eyes clouded with tears as they raced down my face, burning all the way down. Crying out I felt my ears flick back in a way impossible for the human ear. With one more heave, a glowing blue broke free from my mouth, finally able to breath I greedily took in oxygen.

      My arms trembling as my chest heaved I took a slow pained breath, smoke filling my vision as I slowly pulled myself to my feet. A new advantage flicking about as I gently put my head in my hands, my ears back in a way they never had been before. 

      "You... You merged... Lilith, you merged!" Alex cried scrambling back while I looked at him, my eyes focusing only to focus again. Closer. Looking around I didn't find the holy beast. A lantern flicking in the corner of my view. Turning to look at it the tail definitely should have belonged to that of Fenrir yet it was white, the opposite of its black tail.

       Merged... My eyes widened as I looked at my hands, long black claws growing from my fingers. Snatching the tail a shiver ran up my spine from both the new sensation of the tail and the feeling of it in my hand. It was hot. Really hot. But it didn't burn. 

      My hand smashed into the side of my head, my ears long and furred as my hair seemingly got free of the ribbon used to tie it. Hair. It was white. With a deep breath, I stared intensely at the white lantern full of a blue burning liquid that matched in color. Merged. That's a legend. You can't just merge with a holy beast.

      Spirits? Yeah, technically possible, there should be one that currently resigns in the eighth kingdom. But holy beasts aren't spirits. They work differently. Making merging impos- improbable now. With a careful deep breath, I licked my teeth, new canines lining my mouth, while I put that aside for now.

       I still had to beat the event. I don't have the time to think about the lack of logic.

      "Alex," My voice was smoother, softer. Like I could hardly form the words. "We're going to run. I'll... React when necessary," I smiled trying to calm him down while I forced my own uncomprehension down. Panic later, not now.

       "H-how-"

       "We'll talk about it later okay?" I asked with the new feathery voice, gently reaching out to help him up. He took my hand- only to recoil with a cry as his hand hissed with a burn. "Aw! I'm... I'm sorry..." I started at my hand, the veins in my wrist vibrantly glowing blue. Not now.

        "I just have to run... Right?" He asked avoiding eye contact as I hummed a honey hum. Smooth and sweet. Brushing my fingers over my throat I tapped it lightly, gathering my thoughts. No true magic. Merging was anything but true magic. The fact the following crystal hasn't blared about my disqualification means I didn't break any rooms.

       But I have no clue what a merging is used for. I don't even know what the wolf does. I had the tail but that's nothing, just a lanterned that helps guide the souls to their mount. It's got claws and jaws for fending off the soul eaters and it bleeds magma; its saliva should lava and its eyes can see one's very soul. That's all there is to it. The glowing of my veins said I bled it but it was blue. Tsking, the tail flicked all around me while I tried to think of something.

        He burned his hand. The smallest of brushes burns. Alright. I can work with that.

       "Ready?" I asked softly while he nodded, rubbing just under the burn. Blinking rapidly as a gentle golden glow circled him I looked away with a small frown. It was likely his soul but the glow was tremendously uncomfortable to look at. "Alright, I can't touch you so please don't get caught in anything,"

       "Yeah," He mumbled, still not meeting my gaze. Turning I jumped lightly as small blue flames lingered in my sight. Are my... Are my eyes glowing? I see... I wouldn't want to look me in the eyes either if they were glowing. Especially if blue flames leaked out.

       Sighing I rubbed under my eyes before nodding to myself. Not now. Figure it out later. You have to get in the top five. You don't have the time to worry about it.