Chapter 69

Boy... It's almost over, isn't it? Are you ready for a second book without the time to rest between? P.S. Short chapter.

         "Now!" I shouted, the soft voice strong and loud while we raced back

         "Now!" I shouted, the soft voice strong and loud while we raced back. The two beasts hesitating for all but a moment before lunging. We remained on the line while I slide with a growl rising in my chest. The manticore stomping proudly as its chest puffed up and it roared in my face, teeth bared but not going for an attack.

       Alex took the chance to run as I bared my own teeth, growl growing as my tail raised with my ears. My ears flicking back a moment later as I took a step back unconsciously admitting defeat. It was a freaking manticore.

      The griffin behind me swatting at my tail as I flipped around with a snarl. They were muzzled. Their claws covered. You're fine.

       With that thought in mind, I clenched my jaw and leaped forward, the manticore not expecting it and jumping out of my way with a hiss.

         Not even thinking, I didn't stop. It realized I was retreating and gave chase. Leaping from the ground it spread its wings and tackled me, making me yip in surprise as it cried out in pain. The smell of burning fabric in the air as I whipped around on the ground. The paw cover on fire.

      Getting to my feet I stumbled into a sprint needing to finish. New thing I knew, I was passing Alex in a second, a rush of heat burning through me. Time seeming to slow as I passed tree after tree until I saw the large clearing that was the school's arena. 

      Sliding to a stop as I enter, my claws digging into the ground I looked around, the long tail behind me brushed the dirt with a soft small wag. Staring at the crystal cams I looked between them until I found the one on me. The big one above Edward and the other principals.

       Glowing blue eyes staring back as small flames burned at their corners. Long white wolf-like ears in place of my usual ones, my red hair a wild white as fangs peeked from my lips, claws practically shining and tail twice my height behind me, holding the lantern of the dead in a hue that didn't belong to it.

     I didn't look human.

     "Our first place first year! Lilith Windsor! With the unexpected merge of a holy beast!" The crowd wasn't cheering like last time. It was silent. Deadly so. My ears perking up as mom jumped from her seat to do all the cheering herself; while I looked at the ground for a moment before smiling in her direction.

       My eyes sealing as I didn't need to see the look on my father's face. If my eyes were as they usually were I could just pretend he was smiling next to her. But I could see otherwise.

        I messed up. Multiple times. Best or not I was sloppy. Sighing as my chest tightened I stood up properly, my tail drooping and ears back while I gently pressed my thumb into my palm. 

      Turning to Edward I pulled a smirk, my ears flicking up at the wide processing eyes of the elite. There was a twinkle of pride in them. I got him first place. For the first years at least. I also merged with a holy beast in front of the seven kingdoms, showing something thought possible belong to his school.

      But there was another twinkle in his eyes matching. One I couldn't place. One that worried me. Looking away I began my way out of the center, needed to know how to reverse the merge. 

       I couldn't stay flammable. I'd die without books.