16. Seokjin

Taehyung thought it was unfortunate that he had to encounter Jung-kook in such an abysmal circumstance

Taehyung thought it was unfortunate that he had to encounter Jung-kook in such an abysmal circumstance. He should have known better, or maybe it's because he didn't, that he aggravated an already volatile introduction. If he remembered who Jung-kook was, this wouldn't happen. 

Seokjin might have mentioned Jung-kook in passing, but Taehyung wasn't sure if it's before or after he and IU started dating. Not that Jin-hyung actively pursued his now-girlfriend; they were busy touring and doing other promotional activities that they barely had enough time to date.

It's only when Ji-Eun and Jin collaborated on a song did their friendship blossomed into something more. Feelings, he heard, couldn't be helped. Taehyung never dated seriously to know this firsthand, but from what he's told, it was unavoidable.

For a while, Ji-Eun became unhappy with Jung-kook. Wanting a shoulder to cry on, she found them on Seok-jin. IU and Jin-hyung were closer in age and had similar interests. Her relationship with Jung-kook was mostly built on physical attraction, whereas Ji-eun and Seok-jin filled their days with deep and meaningful conversations that never seemed boring. Both were invested in each other's lives, like old souls reading from the same page of a book.

Jung-kook lacked the patience that Seokjin had. He was impulsive, ambitious, and hardly listened to anyone who didn't agree with his views. His competitiveness was good to a certain extent, but it drained those around him. Seokjin, on the other hand, was calmer and would take time weighing the pros and cons of his actions before acting upon them. His cool and steady demeanor was a stark contrast to Jung-kook's hotheadedness that it attracted Ji-eun enough to leave her ex-boyfriend.

Taehyung sighed to himself. He did not mean to ruffle the guy's feathers. Despite being a social butterfly, Taehyung didn't have many friends whom he can hang out with. Most of his team members were older than him and had different interests.

On their downtime, Namjoon mostly read philosophical dissertations (boring!); Yoongi usually sat by the piano brooding (if not sleeping); Hoseok regularly visited some orphanage or volunteered some charity (such goody-two-shoes); Jimin typically would chill with his crew (the "Friendship Parkas"); and Jin, well, he couldn't be separated from Ji-eun's hip even if he tried to.

And hence, Taehyung's dilemma at present. Not that he wanted to be friends with Jung-kook, however; it's just he didn't have enemies (or so he thought), and he's not about to start now.