II

Back to the present . . .

Chaeyoung was already sleeping beside her scattered mementos when a lone tear seeped from her left eye.

In the evening, Chaeyoung was watching TV with her sister and her father while her mother was busy preparing their dinner. They were awkwardly trying to talk about the show, no one wanting to bring up the elephant in the room, Chaeyoung's break up with Taehyung.

Turning the television off, Chaeyoung's father groaned, "I can't do this anymore. Come here Chaeyoung, sit with me and Alice."

After Chaeyoung was seated beside her father, Alice on the opposite side, he enveloped them both in a tight hug.

"You know how much I love you both right? Both of you will always be my princesses and I vow to keep you from harm. If I may even take the pain that you're experiencing in this life, I would have done so. But then if I did, you would not have grown into such beautiful women you turned out to be. I am so proud of you both, always proud of you. Remember that. Nothing you did and will ever do will stop me from loving you. So please continue to grow well."

Chaeyoung's father tearfully confessed as similar bouts of tears gushed from Chaeyoung and Alice's eyes. Chaeyoung's mother caught them in this condition so she soon joined them and the whole family hugged each other in a long while.

Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

"Oh! Are we expecting anyone?" Chaeyoung asked before going out to see the person outside. When she opened the gate, she saw Taehyung standing in front of her. She was taken aback and instantly froze in place.

"Chae!!!" Lisa called. Chaeyoung woke up from her hallucination and was slightly disappointed when a confused Lisa slowly materialized.

"Lisa!! Come in," Chaeyoung cheerfully welcomed Lisa cautiously masking her bewilderment at her own thoughts.

"Were you expecting someone else?" Lisa asked accusingly.

"What?! What are you talking about? Oh hey! What do you have there? Tiramisu cheesecake?" Chaeyoung retorted, changing the topic.

"Yup!"

"Yum!! You're the best!"

"Ladies! We're already here at the dining room!" Chaeyoung's mother called out for her and Lisa.

"Is that Tiramisu cheesecake Lisa-unnie?" Alice asked enthusiastically.

"What does it matter? You're in a diet anyway. You won't be having dessert, right?" Chaeyoung's father asked Alice teasingly.

"I uh I can have a slice tonight. Lisa-unnie might feel bad if I don't eat her treat," Alice answered defensively.

Her father just laughed quietly in response.

"Hush now. Let us start eating before the food gets cold," Chaeyoung's mother interrupted.

"Lisa how are your parents in Canada?" Chaeyoung's father asked curiously.

"They're fine, I think they are adapting well there. They were even asking me to follow them but I can't leave when I'm already beginning to love my work here."

"That's good. I hope that you do well in your work even more. By the way, whenever you feel lonely, just come visit us okay? As you know, you are already part of our family."

With misty eyes, Lisa answered, "Yes Uncle, thank you so much!!"

"Dad! Why are you making everyone cry today?" Alice snapped.

Then they all chuckled together. Chaeyoung felt her heart relax as if it was constricted for a while. As she tenderly looked at everyone on the table, she reminded herself that these people were her strength and hope. She thought that she can overcome any hurdle in life because she was armed with love.