XVIII

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Chaeyoung heard her ringing phone. She was about to get her phone out of her bag when she felt a firm grip on her forearm.

“Chaeyoung . . .” Taehyung said.

Chaeyoung sighed before answering, “What are you doing here Taehyung?”

“I, uh . . . I wanted to see you.”

“Why?”

“Do I really need to answer that?”

She raised her eyebrow at him, “Well . . .”

“I missed you.” He blurted.

“Um, Tae . . .”

“Hey! You asked me. I was just being honest.”

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes as she answered mockingly.

“Oh yeah?! I didn’t realize you can be this honest.”

“Chae, that’s unfair. You know I have always been honest to you about the way I feel towards you.”

Chaeyoung was taken aback by Taehyung’s sincere answer. And he answered it in a manner that was too familiar to her. The sound of his hoarse voice, the solemn look in his eyes, and his slumped shoulders were all the indications.

Taehyung is dead serious right now, no doubt about that.

“Whatever.” Chaeyoung responded, intending it to make her sound annoyed, but instead she sounded like someone who just succumbed.

Taehyung smiled in response.

And for the second time in a row, Chaeyoung was taken aback. It was her first time to see Taehyung’s candid smile after a long while.

2nd of June 2014 (a day after Chaeyoung and Taehyung's relationship became official)

Chaeyoung sprinted to the gate. When she opened it, she was surprised to see Taehyung standing there.

“Taehyung! What are you doing here so early?” She exclaimed.

“Tell me . . .” Taehyung was saying before he was interrupted.

“And why do you look so tired? Your eye bags are even showing up. Did you even sleep?” Chaeyoung said as she caressed Taehyung’s face.

He held her hand that was touching his face, “So . . . last night . . . Tell me, did it really happen?”

She looked at him straight in the eyes, unsure what he was referring to. But he only responded with a steady gaze. She tried to figure out his predicament. When she realized what it was, she got tempted to tease him.

So she said while trying not to chuckle, “What are you talking about?”

“Ugh! Chaeyoung . . . Come on! Just tell me.”

“Tell you what?” Chaeyoung grinned.

“If you don’t answer me right now young lady, I swear . . .”

“Oooh! Is that a threat mister? Did I hear you right?” She scoffed.

“Huh?! Nnooo. Of course not. I just . . . Please, Chaeyoung. I’m begging you. I barely slept last night. I don’t know. I mean, of course I knew it actually happened. But it still felt so hard to believe. I wanted to call you but I didn’t because I knew you were exhausted from yesterday’s date at the amusement park. So please, Chaeyoung?” Taehyung pleaded.

Chaeyoung cupped Taehyung’s face in between her hands. She looked at him with a hint of guilt in her eyes. Then he held both of her hands and pouted at her.