XXVI

When Chaeyoung found out that Alice passed the board exam, she suggested that they throw a small party at their house. They held the party at their backyard with their family, some relatives, and a few friends. Taehyung also attended the party after he and Chaeyoung decided to remain friends.

They hired a caterer for the food in which everyone had a good fill to their stomachs. There were also lots of talking, singing and dancing. The party lasted a bit later than expected when everyone had a few drinks.

The next day, Chaeyoung woke up feeling groggy. She wanted to call in sick at work but their monthly meeting was preventing her to do so. She had an important report that she needed to share with everyone. So she quickly paced around her room when she realized that she woke up later than usual. She prepared herself to work and ran out of their house.

When she reached their building, she dashed towards the elevators. One was just about to close so she yelled, “Hold it open, please!!” Then she stood at the front of the elevator and said her thanks. When she went inside, she realized that Jungkook was standing at the sides. She tried to turn to him to smile. But he was looking down to the floor. Maybe, he didn’t notice me. She thought.

Then the elevator stopped at the seventh floor. Chaeyoung noticed Jungkook preparing to get off. When he passed by her, she looked up at him and whispered, “Good morning!” But it seemed that he did not notice that one too. She was starting to think that Jungkook seemed like he was ignoring her intentionally. She shrugged it off when she got off her floor.

The day went by quickly when Chaeyoung got herself occupied with work. She felt exhausted after everything she’d been tasked to do that day and not having enough sleep the night before. When she got off work, she hurried out of their office towards the elevator. She stayed at the back corner of the elevator to lean her body against its wall.

Jungkook rode the same elevator with Chaeyoung when he was going home. She looked tired as she was closing her eyes while leaning on the walls of the elevator. He wanted to go near her but he was restraining himself. After what he witnessed between her and Taehyung more than a week ago, he tried to avoid her at all cost. He already lost his chance to win Chaeyoung’s heart after she got back together with Taehyung. He realized that he needed to distance himself from her as a way to let her go and to start moving on from her.

He was walking away from their building when he felt someone tap his shoulder. When he turned to check who it was, his mouth went agape. He immediately closed it.

“Hey!”

“Chaeyoung.”

“You weren’t avoiding me, were you?”

“No. What made you think I was?”

“Well, didn’t you see me in the elevator this morning? I even said good morning but you went off as if you didn’t see me. You just passed at my side.”

“Really? You were there?” He feigned not knowing. Though the truth was that he knew she was there right from the start. When she recognized her voice asking to hold the elevator open, he pressed the open button right away including her floor. Then he moved a bit farther to the side of the elevator, afraid he can’t resist talking to her. “I didn’t see you, I’m sorry. I’m just a little occupied with work.”

“Oh! I see. Well, it’s fine as long as you treat me to dinner. What do you think?”

“I’m, uh, I’m sorry Chaeyoung. I have another appointment today. I gotta go. Bye!” Then he turned his back at her without waiting for her answer.

“Did he just give me a brush-off?” She mumbled to herself.

… … … … …

Ding!