XXIX

Jungkook waited for Chaeyoung outside their building. He wanted to ask her out to dinner since he’d been busy a few days ago. When he noticed her a few steps from the entrance, he hid himself at the back of a bush. When she was nearing his hiding place, he unexpectedly came out of his hiding place causing her to jump out of her own skin.

She held her chest as she looked at him annoyingly. “Geez! Jungkook, you’re going to give me a heart attack.”

He grinned, “So . . . dinner?”

“Dinner?”

“I’m taking you to dinner.”

“But –”

“No buts, we’re going for a date tonight.”

She rolled her eyes at him, “Let me just make a call.”

She walked away while talking to someone over the phone. Jungkook tried to eavesdrop but to no avail. Chaeyoung was talking so softly he can barely hear her talking.

When she finished the call, she approached Jungkook. “Were you trying to eavesdrop?”

“What? Me? Of course not.”

“But guilt is written all over your face.”

“I wasn’t, I swear. Who did you talk to anyway?”

“Taehyung.”

“Taehyung again? Chae, you’ve already broken up with him while I’m the one who’s courting you now. But why does it feel like you’ve been spending more time with him than with me?”

“Because you’re a jealous prick?” Before he can say anything, Chaeyoung pressed her finger on Jungkook’s lips to prevent him from talking. “I just canceled our dinner for you, alright? Happy now?”

“Hmm, alright.” He answered impassively.

When she linked her arms around his arm and smiled sweetly at him, all his jealousy and insecurity were flushed down the drain. He smiled back at her as he led her towards the taxi stand.

After dinner, Jungkook brought Chaeyoung to his apartment building and they went to the rooftop. They brought a mat and a blanket like last time. Then they sat beside each other on the mat.

“So . . . why are we here again? Are you upset today as well?” Chaeyoung asked out of curiosity.

Jungkook shook his head. “Well, earlier I was. But I feel better now.”

“What made you upset?”

He turned to face her, “Because I missed you so much, Chaeyoung.”

“We haven’t seen each other for two days only. Geez, you’re so clingy.” She chuckled.

“How can I not be? You’re still going out with Taehyung from time to time.”

“Because we’re friends? Duh!”

“But you’re also past lovers, Chaeyoung. I can’t help worrying.”

“Don’t you trust me?”

“I do. But . . . I still get this anxiety every time you’re with him. And I can’t seem to shake it off.”

“How can I help you then?”

“Be my girlfriend.” Jungkook bluntly said.

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened in surprise at his request. Her mouth dropped open while she stared at his pleading eyes. “Jungkook . . . I don’t know. I’m just –”