XXXIV

Jungkook was shifting his eyes from his phone to the elevator. He was standing in the lobby waiting for Chaeyoung. It was their anniversary and they were heading to a fancy restaurant. He was starting to be agitated knowing that she was supposed to get off work ten minutes ago. Moreover, she wasn't answering her phone and she had not replied to any of his texts.

He blew a relieved sigh when he saw Chaeyoung's workmates getting off the elevator. But his relief turned into disappointment real quick when he saw no Chaeyoung until the elevator closed again. He hesitantly approached Chaeyoung's workmates. He scrunched his face when he learned that Chaeyoung went off work about an hour ago due to some emergency. He was left confused as he left the building and took a cab to Chaeyoung's house.

All his failed attempts in contacting her were making him frustrated by the minute. His frustration even grew when none of Chaeyoung's parents or Alice knew of her whereabouts. Also, neither of them got ahold of her. Until . . .

Ring! Ring! Ring!

... ... ... ... ...

Jungkook could feel the fast beating of his heart as he rushed inside the hospital's emergency room. He worriedly scanned his eyes around until he saw a familiar figure standing a couple of meters from him.

Park Chaeyoung

After fearing what could have happened to her in the past hour that no one knew where she was, Jungkook would have instantly ran to her and engulf her in a tight embrace. But what he wished to do was not possible when she was in between someone else's arms.

Kim Taehyung

He painfully watched them as if a thousand needles were pricking his heart. He did not know what actually happened but he believed that Chaeyoung must have an explanation for whatever was happening right now. And he knew that he should not be jealous because, despite how rocky his and Chaeyoung's relationship had been for the first couple of months, they were both in love with no one else but each other. They wouldn't be celebrating their first year together if they felt otherwise.

However, the things he thought he knew were not enough to stop the way his jealousy was eating him alive.

A few hours earlier...

Chaeyoung was whistling happily while thinking about her anniversary date with Jungkook after work. She was busying herself with a report that she needed to submit before her shift ended when she received a call from Lisa.

"Lis . . ." Chaeyoung greeted before she got interrupted.

"Chaeng . . ." Lisa cried from the other end of the line.

"Hey!" Chaeyoung straightened on her seat after hearing Lisa's crying. "What's wrong? Did your jerk of a boyfriend hurt you again? I swear I won't think twice in flying all the way to Canada if . . ."

"No. It's not him. We're fine. We're all good." Lisa whispered in between sobs.

"Then why are you crying?"

"It's uh . . . I have a favor to ask."

"What is it?"

Lisa heaved a deep sigh before speaking.

"Taehyung was arriving today so Auntie, Aleck and Dawn went to the airport to fetch him. But then the cab that they were on met an accident on the way to the airport. The last update I heard from Tae was that the three of them had surgery at the same time. And I . . . I haven't heard from him for over two hours now.

Chae, I know how important today is for you and Jungkook. But I can't seem to calm down thinking about how Taehyung is doing right now. He was greatly affected after what happened with his father. So now that the rest of his family is . . ."