XXIV

Lisa and Chaeyoung were at a club, they were having their mini high school reunion. Only a few were able to attend because the plan was made spontaneously. A classmate of theirs sent them a message on their group chat inviting them to go clubbing. Chaeyoung wanted to decline but Lisa was able to convince her in the end, pointing out that it had been three years since they had their last reunion.

There were ten of them from their classmates. Half of them brought their partners along. Others promised to come over after their shifts. They were seated in the corner of the club. Their tables were moved close together to accommodate their large group. Their food and drinks were placed in the middle.

Everyone was talking about how they fooled around during high school. Each of them had their own story to share. There were funny, scary and even heartbreaking stories. But they all had fun as they reminisced their wonderful memories together.

After a while, one of their classmates suggested for them to go dancing but most of the guys decided to stay at their table. Lisa pulled Chaeyoung off her seat and dragged her to the dance floor. Chaeyoung was not much of a dancer like Lisa. So she was awkwardly raising her hands in the air and trying to shake her hips. But the sudden movement made her head spun for a moment. She drank nearly half her second bottle of beer but she was already getting drunk. They danced for three songs in a row before they decided to go back to their seats, sweat dripping off their foreheads.

Chaeyoung excused herself to use the bathroom. She stayed in the cubicle a bit longer as she eased her dizziness. Then she retouched her makeup, trying to disguise the drunkenness showing on her face. She was just a few steps away from the bathroom when she bumped into someone. Her vision was a bit fuzzy but he looked a bit familiar to her.

“Chaeyoung?” Chaeyoung heard the person call her.

She somehow recognized the voice but it was muffled by the loud music playing in the background. She narrowed her eyes to focus on the person’s face. Then finally his face started to appear clearer to her, it was Jungkook.

“Jungkook?” She asked in surprise.

“Chaeyoung! I didn’t expect to see you here. Who are you with?” He asked.

She furrowed her brows, unable to hear anything he said. Then she leaned closer and whispered into his ear, “I can’t hear you. What was that?”

The feel of her warm breath against his ears left a tingling sensation all over Jungkook’s body. Then Jungkook pulled Chaeyoung away from the loud music and they stood near the entrance where the sound was a bit bearable.

“Better now?” He asked. He wasn’t sure to whom the question was directed to for he was also asking himself the same question. He was trying to shake off the tingling sensation he felt a while ago.

She slurred, “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Chaeyoung, are you drunk?” He asked while carefully observing her appearance and stance.

“No!” She swayed a little and was about to fall before she regained her balance. “Well . . . maybe a little.” She grinned.

“I can see that now. As I was asking earlier, who are you with?”

“Oh! I’m with my high school friends. We're having a mini reunion.”

“I see. As for me, we’re celebrating my workmate’s birthday. His birthday is actually on Sunday but he’ll be going somewhere with his family. So we’re celebrating it in advance today.”

“Ooh! I love birthdays! Did you already blow the cake? I mean the candle on the birthday cake?” She said excitedly while doing a silly dance.

He laughed at her, unable to hold it to himself.