XIV

It was the first day of work after the holidays. Jungkook invited Chaeyoung to dinner, wanting to spend time with her after being away for about a week. He went home to the province to spend the holidays with his family while Chaeyoung stayed at the city with her own family.

After dinner, Jungkook offered to send Chaeyoung home. As they were walking toward Chaeyoung’s house, they noticed a car parked in front of it. Chaeyoung immediately felt uneasy when she recognized the car. While Jungkook warily eyed the car when they got closer to it.

“Chaeyoung, I had a good time tonight.” Jungkook said while looking straight at Chaeyoung’s eyes.

“I’m glad to hear that. I had fun as well.” She answered with a soft smile.

“Alright, you can go inside now.” He suggested.

“Huh? Um, it’s okay. You should go ahead. I will watch you go this time.”

“No, I will be fine. You should go inside now.”

“Well…”

Before Chaeyoung could finish what she was about to say, Taehyung brusquely went out of the car. Chaeyoung and Jungkook both looked shocked by his sudden appearance.

“Chaeyoung . . .” Taehyung pleaded, “Please . . . please, let us talk.”

“Ch-Chaeyoung . . .” Jungkook interrupted.

Chaeyoung shifted her gaze in between Taehyung and Jungkook. She was feeling the tension rising between them. So she stood in between them before the tension escalated into anything more.

“I’m tired. You both go home,” She huffed.

Then Chaeyoung annoyingly turned her back on Taehyung and Jungkook before they can protest. She hurriedly got inside the house and shut the gate on the men outside. But she only took three steps away from the gate before going back outside. When she opened the gate, Taehyung and Jungkook were seriously staring each other down. This scene made Chaeyoung even more irritated.

“I said go home!” She barked.

Taehyung and Jungkook nervously looked at her, belatedly noticing her presence, before going separate ways. Taehyung rushed inside his car while Jungkook dashed away from the house. Then Chaeyoung loudly heaved a sigh as she got back inside the house. When she got to the front porch, she was startled to see Alice there. Alice clucked her tongue while shaking her head disapprovingly at Chaeyoung.

“It’s not my fault.” Chaeyoung swore defensively.

Alice chuckled. “I know.”

Then Chaeyoung slumped on the seat beside Alice.

“I . . . I don’t know what just happened.” Chaeyoung whispered.

“I know that too. Don’t worry. You’ll sort out everything when the time comes.” Alice answered reassuringly.

“You think so?”

“I hope so.”

Chaeyoung pouted at her sister’s straightforward answer.

“I was just kidding. Of course, you’ll sort this out eventually. But wait! You don’t sound like my big sister who can win over anything. Is this really you?”

“I’m . . .”

“Sssshh!” Alice interrupted.

Alice put her arms around Chaeyoung and pulled her close to give her a hug. Chaeyoung gratefully accepted it.

“Don’t say anything. I’m not even asking. But you don’t have to answer anything right now, especially when you’re uncertain about some things. Just be still, for now.”