VII

Alice picked a short sleeved peach peplum top, navy blue skinny jeans and a pair of loafers. Then Chaeyoung stood in front of the mirror, getting a last look at her outfit. Feeling satisfied, she dashed out of the house.

When Chaeyoung went out to meet Jungkook, her jaw dropped at the sight of him. Jungkook was wearing a blue button down shirt, khaki shorts and leather brown boat shoes. He looked refreshing from his usual corporate outfit. He was leaning on the car, the same one he brought last time, his hands were in his pocket and his right leg was crossing over the other.

“You are seven minutes late. But a pretty lady like you ought to be forgiven.” Jungkook said.

“Thanks! And you look . . .” Chaeyoung took another good look at him. “Fine.” Then she giggled.

“Really? You ogled me for a good whole minute and all you can say is that I look fine?” He said teasingly.

“I. Did. Not.” She denied.

He grinned at her in response.

“Don’t get so ahead of yourself honey.”

The word ‘honey’ rang into Jungkook’s ears. Chaeyoung said it spontaneously but he heard it as intimately as the way Carissa used to call him that. Then he spaced out while Chaeyoung was trying to bring him back to his senses.

“Hey! Jungkook! Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry. Let us go!”

They stayed quiet inside the car, both waiting for the other to break the silence. He was trying to focus on his driving while she was idly browsing through the internet.

“Chaeyoung? Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yes, I’m okay. Are you?”

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“So . . . where are you taking me?”

“Have you heard of the street fair downtown? We can go there and check it out. Then we’ll see from there. Shall we?”

“Sounds good.”

... ... ... ... ...

A pencil artist welcomed Chaeyoung and Jungkook on their way in the street fair. She was awed with the artist’s skills so she tugged him to have a sketch of them together. He refused since it will take too much of their time. However, his resistance was no match for her persistent urging. So he obliged in the end.

But her insistence of having a sketch done backfired on her when the artist asked them to sit closer together and look sweet like a real couple that he thought they were. While Chaeyoung was hesitant and feeling awkward, Jungkook grabbed that chance to get closer to her. So he scooted closer, wrapped his arm behind her and rested his arm on the bench.

And since the sketch will be shoulder-level, the artist gently pushed their faces closer, leaving only an inch of space between them. They stayed in that position for about an hour until the sketch was completed.

Even after the sketch was done, they stayed in that position for a few more seconds since they felt stiff all over their body. Chaeyoung managed to move away first, leaving Jungkook alone on the bench.

She grinned from ear to ear looking at the sketch of her and Jungkook together. She tried to dismiss the fact that they indeed look like a real couple, even when she cannot deny the genuine smiles on their faces portrayed by the sketch. While he smiled seeing how the drawing was beautifully done.

After that, they looked around the food stands to have their lunch. They ate in a food truck, serving burger, as they planned earlier. True to his self-proclamation, Jungkook finished three burgers in all. On the other hand, Chaeyoung was contented with her piece of one-pound burger.