XVI

Before Jungkook can say anything, Carissa left him by himself on the table. He clucked his tongue.

“She hasn’t changed. She’s still the same Carissa I know. She always had to be the last say. She left without even hearing what I had to say. Just like what she did on our wedding day, she left without consulting me.” He shook his head in disappointment.

“M-m-marriage?” Yugyeom gasped.

Bambam interjected, “We’re so sorry Jungkook. We didn’t know she’d say those things to you. She said she wanted patch up things with you, but we didn’t know she’d be this insensitive.”

“She even wanted me to think about it.” Jungkook added.

“On second thought, don’t you really want to get back together with Carissa?” Yugyeom asked.

“I mean, you’ve been together since high school right? And you’ve been through a lot since you’ve been together. Carissa’s not just a part of your past, you basically grew up together.”

“You’re right. But just like what she said earlier, many things have changed between us during the four years we’ve been apart. When I saw her earlier for the first time after four years, I felt nothing much.

Perhaps if we met earlier, about one or two years ago, I would have accepted her right away. I might even have begged for her to come back to me. But as time went by, I didn’t even realize this ‘til now after seeing her, I confirmed that my feelings for her had all faded away.”

“Nah. You’re only saying that because of that girl. Chaeyoung, right?”

“No. No. I don’t think so. I initially thought that I’d be mad at Carissa when I see her again. Or maybe I’d be overjoyed because I really missed her. After all, I longed for her for quite some time. But earlier, I just felt nothing.

I’ve forgiven her a long time ago so I wasn’t mad at her anymore. I didn’t even feel any enthusiasm at all. It’s as if I just met an old friend who I haven’t seen for a very long time. I was glad to see her. I’m happy to see that she looked well. But that’s all.”

“Is this because of Chaeyoung?”

“Why are you pointing everything back at her?” Jungkook groaned.

“Because I can still remember how excited you were the first time you talked about her. You looked like a lovesick puppy. You can’t stop talking about her. You can’t even hide your silly smile as you talk about her.”

“But I’ve moved on from Carissa way before I met Chaeyoung.”

“You may be right. But it’s because of Chaeyoung that you don’t want to accept Carissa back in your life.”

“Yeah. Are you sure about that? Chaeyoung already got back with her ex, remember? Remember that’s the very reason why you are sulking tonight.”

“I know. You didn’t have to remind me. Still, I like Chaeyoung. I’m even afraid I’ve fallen completely in love with her.”

“We hear you. But we shouldn’t be the one hearing these things from you. Shouldn’t you be telling all this to Chaeyoung?”