VIII

Chaeyoung and Lisa were engaged in a movie marathon at Lisa’s house. They were laughing hysterically at the comedic scenes. They were even throwing popcorn at each other as they laugh.

Then Lisa asked, going serious all of a sudden, “Chaeng, is there something you want to tell me?”

“What do you mean?” Chaeyoung asked back.

“Are you really not going to tell me?” Lisa retorted.

Chaeyoung gulped a lump in her throat before answering.

“I saw Taehyung during our business trip.”

“You saw Taehyung?” Lisa asked surprisingly.

“Yeah, I saw him. He told me he was sorry. And all the pain came rushing to me at once. I thought I was over him but the pain has not subsided.”

“I’m so sorry Chaeng.”

“But how did you know about that? I haven’t told anyone about it. Unless . . . Were you asking about something else?”

“It’s actually about someone else.” Lisa answered.

Chaeyoung asked innocently, “About who exactly?”

“Don’t play dumb on me Chae. Just spit it out!” Lisa turned the television off then added, “Alice already told me you are dating someone these days. By the way, she wanted me to emphasize that it wasn’t her intention to talk to me about it. She just accidentally spilled about your date the other day.”

“Accidentally? I don’t believe you!”

“Well, she really did mention it in an accidental manner. But I forced her about the details.”

“Alice is never really one who can keep secrets. Tsk.”

Lisa seriously responded, “Now I’m hurt why you’re even keeping it from me. I am your best friend after all.”

“It’s not like that. I’m sorry. It’s just that . . . Fine! Here it goes.”

Lisa beamed at Chaeyoung’s anticipated revelation.

“His name is Jungkook. He is working in a company which is on the same building as mine.”

“How does he look?”

“I’ll show you later.”

“So how did you meet?”

“I was about to tell you all that. Should I still continue?” Chaeyoung scowled.

Lisa grinned. “Yes, go ahead. I just got excited you know. Sorry.”

Chaeyoung told Lisa how she and Jungkook met on that rainy night. And the rest of their interactions. She told the story in detail, as requested by Lisa herself.

“Oh my God! This is so much better than the movies we were watching earlier.” Lisa said enthusiastically.

Chaeyoung chuckled at her best friend’s reaction.

“I can’t believe this.” Lisa said dramatically. “My best friend is in love.”

Chaeyoung choked on her own saliva. “In love? What are you talking about Lisa? I’m not, okay?”

Lisa gave Chaeyoung a side eye. “Then tell me . . . what exactly do you feel about him?”

“Um . . . nothing! We only knew each other for a few weeks. We’re not exactly even friends.”

“You’re not friends?” Lisa asked, emphasizing on the word ‘friends’.

“Yeah? We’re just . . . acquaintances.” Chaeyoung hesitantly answered.