XII

Back to the present . . .

As Chaeyoung lay down on her bed, she thought of Jungkook. She remembered the wide opening of his eyes and the dropping of his jaw at seeing her and Taehyung together.

She mumbled to herself, “Of course I don’t need to explain anything. It’s not like we’re in a relationship or something.” She contemplated before continuing, “Then why did I sound so guilty and defensive back then? Argh! What was I thinking?”

Then her thoughts was interrupted by her ringing phone.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

“Hello!” Chaeyoung answered.

Jungkook answered at the other end of the line, “Chaeyoung? Are you home already?”

“Yes. And you?”

“Huh?”

“I mean, uh, have you gone home too?” She asked.

“Oh! Yes, yes. I went home right after I sent you out.”

“I see. By the way, thank you for your help earlier.”

“No problem. So uh . . .” It sounded like he wanted to say something but he did not finish what he was trying to say when Chaeyoung interrupted.

“Yes?”

“Do you have time tomorrow after work? Can we have dinner together?” He asked.

“Sure!”

“Great! See you tomorrow then.”

“See you tomorrow.”

“Good night! Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.”

She chuckled, “Good night!”

The next day, Chaeyoung carefully selected her outfit for the day. She picked a blush pink asymmetric blazer dress, matching it with a lovely pair of nude pumps. When she went to the dining room to eat breakfast, her parents were already there.

“Good morning!” She announced as she went inside the dining room.

“Good morning Chaeyoung! You look gorgeous today.” Her mother commented.

Then her father teased, “It looks like our girl’s going on a date tonight. Make sure to come home before ten, alright?”

“What? Why do I have a curfew now?” Chaeyoung complained.

“Because I don’t know this guy you’re going out with. Thus the curfew seemed necessary.” Her father explained.

“Fine!” Chaeyoung conceded as she began eating her breakfast.

“Though you do look especially pretty today Chaeyoung.”

“Thanks Dad!”

After breakfast, Chaeyoung cheerfully went to work looking forward to her dinner date with Jungkook. The day seemed to stretch out as Chaeyoung looked at the time every now and then. She became anxious as the hours went by.

After work, Chaeyoung rushed to the powder room to check her look. She retouched her makeup and sprayed a bit of perfume. Then she went out to meet Jungkook. He saw her when she was heading his way. Chaeyoung felt conscious when Jungkook openly stared at her as she walked towards him.

“You know that’s kind of rude, right?” Chaeyoung said.

“What?” Jungkook asked bafflingly.

She eyed him, “Pfft! So where are we going to eat?”

“Do you have a place in mind?” He asked. “By the way, you look rather pretty today.”