XIII

Chaeyoung just got off from work. She was about to leave her building when a familiar figure blocked her way. She was surprised to see Taehyung standing in front of her.

“What are you doing here?” Chaeyoung spat at him.

“I came to see you.” Taehyung answered with a gloomy expression clouding his face.

“Why?”

“We need to talk.”

“There’s nothing for us to talk about Taehyung.” She said before turning to leave.

Taehyung grabbed her arm to stop her from walking away.

“Please Chaeyoung, just hear me out.” He begged.

But before she could say anything, someone else grabbed her other arm. She looked up and saw Jungkook looking intensely at Taehyung.

She called him, “J-Jungkook.”

“Is this man bothering you, Chaeyoung?” Jungkook asked, still looking directly at Taehyung.

Chaeyoung heaved a deep sigh as she said, “It’s alright Jungkook.”

Jungkook looked at Chaeyoung to make sure that everything was alright. When she gave him a short nod, he hesitantly let go of her arm. Then Chaeyoung flicked Taehyung’s hand off her arm when she walked off, leaving both men behind her. Taehyung eyed Jungkook suspiciously before following Chaeyoung. While Jungkook stood rooted to the ground, watching Chaeyoung and Taehyung walked away.

Taehyung followed Chaeyoung to a nearby café. She sat down first. And while Taehyung was buying their drinks at the counter, Chaeyoung’s mind wandered off to Jungkook’s unreadable expression when she walked away with Taehyung earlier. She was still worrying about Jungkook when Taehyung sat down across from her.

“Who is he?” Taehyung asked, waking Chaeyoung up from her trance.

Brushing his question off, Chaeyoung said, “Just go ahead and speak what you truly came to say before I change my mind.”

He puffed out a deep breath in resignation before talking.

“I’m here to fix things between us Chae.”

“You’re here to what?!” Her eyes grew wide while looking at him. The confusion and surprise on her face was apparent as if the man in front of her grew a second head.

“Fix things between us?” She exclaimed before continuing in a softer voice. “How could you? You think you can just do that? Go in and out of my life of your own accord?”

He gulped a lump in his throat, realizing the absurdity of his rash actions. When his mistake in breaking up with Chaeyoung finally dawned on him, he only thought of taking her back. Despite the disorder in his life at the moment, he became certain of one thing. Only after losing Chaeyoung did he realize her importance in his life.

“I’m really sorry Chaeyoung. I was just very confused then. I had so many things going on in my life at that time. And I had been constantly disregarding you. So I thought it was best if I let you go.”

“It was best if you let go? Best for who Taehyung? For me? Bullshit! It was for your own good. You walked away because . . . I don’t know. But I’m certain it wasn’t any good for me.”

“I know that now. I just . . . I really thought that letting you go was for your own good. I am so sorry.”

“And you think you are doing better now? You did not even ask how I’ve been after leaving me that way.” She said while rising from her seat.