IX

Let's backtrack for a bit in the next few chapters, okay?

Presenting . . . Kim Taehyung 😊

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mid January 2016

Taehyung was a financial advisor at Adlibank. He was in the middle of a dinner meeting with his client when his mother called.

“Sorry, I have to answer this.” Taehyung said. Then he slightly turned his back to his client when he answered the call. “Hello! Mom?”

Taehyung’s mother did not say anything. She only wailed on the other end of the line.

Anxiety overwhelmed Taehyung as he tried to stay calm, “Mom, what is it? Tell me what’s wrong. Where are you?”

His mother stammered as she cried, “Your father. Hospital. We need you!”

Taehyung’s hand started to quiver, troubled with what his mother was trying to tell him. He apologized when he excused himself from his client and ended their meeting early. Then he drove speedily to the hospital.

When he reached the hospital, his mother and his younger siblings, Aleck and Dawn, sat slouchingly in front of his father’s operating room. His mother was crying uncontrollably while Aleck and Dawn were both trying to soothe their mother. Taehyung ran towards his family. He knelt on one knee in front of his mother and held her hand tight.

Taehyung learned that his father had a heart attack at work. His father was currently in a critical condition as the doctors were trying to revive him. After an hour, the chief surgeon went out and sadly informed the family that Taehyung’s father did not survive the operation. Taehyung’s mother broke down at the news. Then Taehyung enveloped his family in a tight hug as they mourned together.

While they were waiting for the body of Taehyung’s father to be released by the morgue, Lisa and Chaeyoung came to give their condolences to Taehyung and his family. Chaeyoung gave Taehyung’s mother a bouquet of white flowers. The mix included white germini, white gypsophila, white Oriental lily, white lisianthus and ivory large-headed roses. The flowers were meant to offer sympathy. Taehyung’s mother gave Chaeyoung a weary smile at her gesture.

Then Chaeyoung slowly approached Taehyung who was sitting by himself on a bench. When she was already sitting beside him, she gently took his hand and held it tight. Taehyung did not even look at her. He stayed bowing his head down as his eyes were filled with unshed tears. Chaeyoung pulled Taehyung close and hugged him. As Taehyung laid his head on Chaeyoung’s shoulder, heavy tears started to roll down his face. They stayed that way for a long while.

… … … … …

Taehyung tried to bear the brunt of his father’s death and became his family’s tower of strength. He managed all the preparations for the funeral service. While throughout his father’s wake, he offered emotional support to his family. Aside from his relatives, Chaeyoung lent a hand during the funeral service. She came regularly and offered comfort to Taehyung and his family.

On the day of his father’s burial, Taehyung eventually vent all his bottled up emotions. In front of his father’s grave, he grumbled how his father could leave too soon and entrust him with all the responsibilities he left behind. He worried that he was not good enough to compensate for his father’s absence. He admitted that his father’s death was a great loss to their family and he was only starting to realize it now. He was afraid of the great deal he was about to face but was encouraged enough to try to fill his father’s shoes.