XXXVIII

The next day, Taehyung and Chaeyoung drove home early in the morning. The two of them were quiet during the whole ride. None of them initiated a conversation. It even seemed that they were both walking on eggshells around each other.

When they reached Chaeyoung’s house, Chaeyoung invited Taehyung inside. Then the two of them went straight to the dining area after hearing voices coming from there. And before revealing themselves, they looked at each other, wordlessly planning to surprise Chaeyoung’s family.

“Good morning!” Taehyung shouted.

At the same time, Chaeyoung asked aloud, “What’s for breakfast?”

Then they amusedly looked at each other, accusing one another of misunderstanding what the other said. After their short bickering, they finally looked back to their audience with grins on their faces. But their smiles were instantly wiped out the moment they saw four persons around the dining table.

Oh! It’s Jungkook.

Shit! It’s Jungkook.

Taehyung recovered from his initial shock at seeing Jungkook first. After noticing that Chaeyoung was still standing rooted on her spot, he gave her a light nudge.

Chaeyoung blinked twice as she stared at Jungkook. Then she quickly turned to her parents and gave them each a kiss on the cheek. When she did the same to Alice, her sister whispered teasingly at her.

“You’re screwed, Unnie.” Alice snickered.

Chaeyoung hissed at her sister before sitting beside Jungkook, across from her father on the other end of the table. Then Alice taunted her sister more by inviting Taehyung to take the empty seat. The said seat was in between Chaeyoung and Alice. So when Taehyung got seated, Chaeyoung ended up being in between Jungkook and Taehyung. Her mother and Alice were sitting across each other and on either side of her father.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed by, everyone on the table looking at each other anxiously, especially Chaeyoung. However, Jungkook remained staring down on his plate, an unreadable expression on his face.

Chaeyoung bit her lower lip in worry while giving Jungkook a side glance. Meanwhile, Taehyung dejectedly looked at Chaeyoung and Jungkook together before breathing out deeply. This interaction among the three of them was observed by their onlookers, Chaeyoung’s family.

So to break the heavy atmosphere, Chaeyoung’s mother got up to bring out two sets of utensils for Chaeyoung and Taehyung. Then she cheerfully asked everyone to enjoy the food that she cooked herself. And they all tried, wearing weird smiles on their faces as they continued eating breakfast.

Taehyung bid goodbye right after breakfast while everyone else found excuses to leave Jungkook and Chaeyoung by themselves in the kitchen. Chaeyoung presented herself to wash the dishes while Jungkook accompanied her.

“Jungkook-ah.” Chaeyoung cooed. “I . . .”

“Let’s talk later.” Jungkook indifferently uttered in response.

She pouted, “Are you mad at me?”

He faced her with a piercing gaze.

“Is there something for me to be mad about?” He spat.

“No!” She defensively answered.

He narrowly looked at her, scrutinizing her openly.

“I mean . . . Yes! Of course it is understandable if you get mad at me for . . .” She cried, trying to explain herself when Jungkook walked out on her.