Chapter 3

I was walking with Jack towards the Lodge house. Katherine, Les and Davey eventually left to go home. It was a solid walk of 20 minutes, but when we arrived Jack looked afraid.

"What's wrong?" I ask him as he stood infront of the door, not knowing what to do. "Well, I ran away when tha kids needed me tha most." He said softly.

I nod and think for a moment before speaking up. "Being here for them know is better then running away for eva. Don't ya think?" I say to him.

"Maybe you's right." He says before opening the door and walking inside.
I watched as all the boys inside looked up at us.

"Good ol' Jack, running away after a strike to come back with a goil!" I hear a boy with a cigar in his mouth yell. All the boys start cheering and I laugh as I look over at Jack.

"Told ya they wouldn't mind!" I say to him, shouting to get over all of the boys voices. Jack playfully punches me in the shoulder before looking up at his boys. "This isn't my goil." He says to the boy with the cigar.

"Does that mean she's available?" One of the boys says, winking at me. "Stop dreamin' Romeo." I say, joking. The boy walks over to Jack and leans in. "How does she know my name?" He says under his breath.

Jack laughs and hit him with his cap. "But what's ya name darlin'" another boy asks. "Maddie, and don't call me darlin'" I say to him. "Maddie? Doesn't really sound like a Newsies name to me!" Another boy says

All the boys starts to cheer and yelling I need a Newsies name. I walk closer to Jack. "Ehm, what's a Newsies name?" I ask him. "Just a made up name that fits ya." He says in response.

"What do ya think of Howler?" Jack asks, offering a name. "Howler?" I say, tasting the name. "Sounds good, but why Howler?"

"Don't know, but I think it fits ya." Jack says with a laugh before grabing my wrist and pulling my arm up in the air. "Everybody! It's Howler!" He yells into the lodge. I laugh as all the boys starts to cheer again and yelling my new name into the air.

Jack walks up to some of the boys and start to talk. I look around for a while, not sure what to do now. "Hey Howler!" I hear one of the guys say. When I look up I see a guy with glasses waving me towards him.

I walk over to the small group of boys. "Hey." I say as I arrive. "Hey, I'm Specs. These are, Race, Albert and Elmer" He says pointing at all of the guys.

"This isn't tha best time to join tha Newsies honey." Race says. "Yeah, I figured that out, but is betha then livin' on tha streets." I say in response.

"How do ya call this then?" Elmer says. "Well.." I start, but couldn't find anything to say in response.

The boys laugh and I look around when I hear someone walking my way. "It's gettin' late. I will show ya were ya can sleep." Jack says. I nod and say bye to the boys.

I follow Jack upstairs into one of the rooms. There are 6 bunk beds standing in the room. Jack walks to the 3th one and points at the lower bed. "That one's free." He says.

I nod as he walks out of the room, leaving me behind. I sigh and lie down on the bed. When I bent my head to the right I see a small dirty window. I walk up to it and open it, only to see the sky full of stars hiding behind it.

I smile as I climb out of the window and onto the roof. I sit down for a while, just staring at the sky, wondering where Jean would be at the moment.

After a while I sigh and lie down. "Where are ya Sean." I say softly to myself before falling asleep.

The next morning I wake up by something moving besides me. I yawn as I slowly open my eyes. There is a thin blanket lying on top of me. I frown, not remembering bringing one with me.

As I sit straight up I noticed someone besides me. "Hey Jack." I say, still tired. "Mornin' Howler." He says in response, putting his cap on his head.

"Jack, what are ya doin' here?" I ask. Jack looks around for a while. "This is my sleepin' spot. I normally share it with Crutchie, but I think we have a new roommate." He says with a smile.

"Roommate? We's on a roof Jack." I say with a laugh before getting up and also putting my cap on my head. "Hey! No bad word over this place! You's talkin' about my penthouse." He says, motioning at the roof.

"Ya penthouse?" Jack nods and walks towards the fire escape. "I gotta go, see ya soon." He says before heading down.

"We're are ya goin'" I yell after him. "Havin' a word with Pullitzer." He says, spitting out the last word.

After a while I also climb down trough the window I came here in the first place. Some of the boys look up for a second when I climb into the room, but they don't seem to mind it.

As I walk down I see Race walking towards me. "Me and tha boys are goin' to Newsies Square, wanna join?" He asks. "Ofcourse!" I say with a nod.

As we arrive at the square we see two boys around my age standing infront if me. I saw those two earlier, I think it was at the fight just yesterday.

"Shit." I hear Race next to me say. "Language." I mumble at him, still looking at the two guys.

Words: 991
New chapter! Wich means I have nothing else to do with my life! Yeah!
Does anyone know I nice song for the ukulele, I'm out of ideas..
~Alex