Chapter 7

"Some guys are stupid Jack, but I thought you were smarter than this." I say before falling asleep.

As I wake up the next day I see that Jack already leaved. I sigh, ofcourse he did.
I yawn and get ready before I walk downstairs.

"Hey Race, do ya know where Jack is?" I ask Race ones I see him. "He, Davey and Katherine went to fix some things. We have to be at Newsies Square at 12."

"Why?" I ask him, not quite understanding it. "I dunno, ask him." I sigh again before walking over to the kitchen to grab a piece of bread.

"Ya know, for someone who isn't a Newsie, you's a lot around them." I hear someone behind me say. "Oh shut up." Another guy says, and this time I recognize the voice immediately.

I turn around to see Mike talking with Elmer and Finch. "Mike!" I yell happily before running up to him and pulling him in a hug.

"Wow, someone is happy to see me." Mike respond with a laugh, pulling us both apart. "You's one of tha only guys around here, with a brain." I say.

"Hey!" Elmer and Finch say in unison. "Oh come on, you know it's true." I look back at Mike, who is trying to not mix himself into the conversation.

"What about Davey?" Albert asks. "Alright, besides Davey."

We past the next hours with some gamble before someone notice it's almost 12 o'clock.

"Shit, we have ta go." Mush says before jumping up. "Language." I say, looking up at him. "Did ya all here that! Howler said Language." Race yells with a laugh.

I stick my tongue out to him before also getting up. And within 10 minutes we were all at Newsies Square.

It was busy, really busy. Not only the Manhattan Newsies were there, but all the Newsies of New York.

I notice the guys around me vanishing in the crowd, and I began to panick when I couldn't see any of my Newsies.

Someone grabs my hand, and I was pulled through the crowd 'till I found myself at a clear spot. Mike was the one holding my hand, and I was now standing with Spot, Race, Albert, Elmer, Finch and Mike at the small ammount of space.

We stood there for hours, yelling in anger at the huge building infront of us. Eventually Katherine ran out of the building, towards us.

"Where are Jack and Davey?" I ask her as she arrives. "Watch." She simply says. I frown, but see Jack walking up at a huge balcony.

"Newsies of New York!" He yells. Everybody turns quiet and look up at him. "We won!" He yells.

I start cheering, and jump up and down from excitement. Even Governor Roosevelt walked up on the balcony.

And then I heared Race yell something. "Crutchie! Jack look! It's Crutchie!" I hear him yell.

I turn around to see a boy with one crutch under his right arm and dirty blonde hair walking up to us.

Within a minute Jack was standing besides us, hugging him tightly. I looked at them as Jack was talking about going to Santa Fe now the Strike was over.

"What's Santa Fe got, that New York ain't?" Davey asks. "Tarantulas?" He asks after a few seconds of quiet. "Or better yet, what's New York got, that Santa Fe ain't?" Katherine asks after Davey.

"New York got friends, we's family." Crutchie says, putting a hand on Jack's shoulder. I smile as the boys start to sing. Everybody joins in, and it seems the perfect moment...

'Till Jack kissed Katherine. Nobody really paid attention to it, and everyone continued singing. But Crutchie did notice.

I see the once so happy face of him turning slightly sad, as he turns around and walks away. I look over at Jack, thinking he would notice and run after him.

But he didn't.. no one did. I look at all the guys, but they keep on singing. I groan before turning around to follow him.

"Maddie! Were are you going?!" I hear someone yell after me. "Away from ya guys!" I yell back at them.

For a moment I couldn't find Crutchie anymore, 'till I turned a certain corner and saw him limp into a small alley.

I walk towards the alley and see him sitting on the floor. I sit down next to him and waited 'till he calmed down a little bit.

"Who are you?" He asks once he looked up. I smile at him. "Name's Howler. I's one of tha Manhattan Newsies. I came into tha 'group' a few minutes after ya were taken to tha refuge. The guys talked a lot about ya." I say to him.

"They did!" He says, his face lighting up for 2 seconds. For a few more seconds it's silent. But not an uncomfortable silence.

"Crutchie.. why did ya walk away from tha guys?" He fidget with his fingers for a while before speaking up. "It's nothin'." He mumbles.

"Is it about Jack?" I ask slowly. His eyes grow big as he looks at me. "Who told ya!" He says. "I.. Race and I talked about it for a while. But it's fine, no one else knows!" I say back to him.

And then I remember I told Mike about it... "He promised me not ta tell anyone.." Crutchie says sadly.

"It's fine, I's okay with it. And ya should too."

"But I's not! It's bad ta love a guy!"

"And what does ya make tha think?"

"My parents, when they found out I's... gay.. they yelled at me, abused me even more.."

"The same parents who trew ya out of tha house?" I ask. "Y-yes." He stammers.

"It really doesn't matter, love is love. Even God thinks about it tha way." Crutchie slowly nods. "Maybe you's right.. but I's still to late."

"It's never to late ta tell Jack how ya feel about him, besides, tha way he talks about ya.. Believe me, you's more than only his friend.
For now, chin up. The guys told me they were going to Jacobi's to celebrate, wanna join?" I ask him while getting up.

"Absolutely." He says in respond, also getting up before we walk towards the Deli together.

Words: 1091
I really likes writing this chapter, I hope you liked reading it as much as I did writing it.
Please leave a vote or comment. I love reading those. And see ya all next week!
~Alex