Chapter 10

The next morning I wake up by the morning bell ringing trough the old building. I sigh as I open my eyes.

For a minute I frown, not realizing where I am. But then I recognize the building and remember Mike who still has his arms around my waist.

"Hey Mike." I say, gently waking him up. He hums in response and I laugh. "I should get up and go to work." He opens his eyes and sits up.

"You have to?" He asks tiredly. "If I don't wanna starve? Yes." He looks at me for a few seconds and my eyes met his. We stare at each other for a while before I take a shaky breath and get up.

"See ya tonight? In this buildin'?" I ask him. "I would love to." He says with a smile. I smile back before taking my cap and walking out of the building.

When I arrive at the World I feel someone pulling me in a thight hug. "Hey Crutch." I say awkwardly. "What are ya doin'" but he doesn't respond, he just keep hugging me.

"Crutch?" I ask him again. "I's hugging ya ta death." He says, made up angry. "You have tha strength of a chicken nugget Crutch, that's not gonna work. But ehm, why do ya want me dead?"

"Because ya were gone. Poof, gone. I thought ya were dead." I laugh as I take his arms off of me. "Believe me, I's not planning on dyin' anytime soon."

He snickers before turning around. I walk trough the gates and see Oscar and Morris walking up to me. "What do ya want!" I spit at them. "We just wanna talk darling." One of them says.

"Oh, suuuuure ya will." The brothers ignore me as Morris point at something behind me. "Did you saw the headline." He says. I frown before turning around.

Refuge open again

I look over at Crutchie who also noticed and I see him freeze. "Who let tha happen!" I yell at the brothers. "And you think we're gonna tell you that?" Oscar says before they turn around.

I grab his collar and pulls him towards me. "OSCAR FREAKING DELANCEY! WHO LET THA HAPPEN!"  I yell, letting my fear and anger taking over my body. He looks startled before grinning.

I feel someone punching my jaw. I let out a small screech before falling down on the ground. Morris is standing over me, his fist still in the air. He grins before pulling me back up by my hair.

I look at them, and even thought I really want to cry, I hide it from him. "Get away from her." I hear Jack yell. "You better shut up or we take her straight to the Refuge!" Oscar says to him.

Oscar turns towards me, and while Morris still holds me Oscar begins to punch my stomach. Hard.

After a few hits I feel my breathing starting to hitch and tears falling down my face. "Stop. Please." I say, letting out a whine. Oscar grins, punches me one last time in the face before they let go of me.

I fall down on the ground, sucking for air and coughing hysterically. I hear a few of the boys running towards me.

"Howler are ya okay!" I hear one of them say. More tears start to fall down my cheek. I can't even sit up straight because of the pain. I cough again, this time coughing up blood.

"Wait 'till I get my hands on ya!" I hear Race yell to the boys. Someone took of his shirt and start to wipe away the blood. "Howler please say something." I hear Davey say.

"I need Mike, please." I say in between sobs. Two of the guys run away, and a few minutes later I feel someone taking me in an embrace.

"Who did this?" Mike whispers into my ear. I stay silent and that's enough for him. He let go of me and get's up. Elmer helps me sit up straight and I watch as Mike walks towards the brothers.

"You wanted revenge huh! Because of the beating I gave you guys earlier! Well punch me! Let Maddie alone!" He yells. Oscar grins at him and takes a step closer.

"Believe me, this is much better." He says before the two brothers run away. Mike runs back to me and I see his breath hitch.

"We need paramedics." He whispers. "Mike, we don't have money for paramedics." One of the Newsies says to him.

I painfully smile at Mike, snuggling closer to his chest. "I'm okay, I will heal." I whisper. I slowly close my eyes and take a deep breath again.

"I'm taking you home." Mike says to me, before taking me up bridal style. I whine but try not to flinch. A few seconds later we arrive at the abandoned building.

He gently lies me down on the ground, my head resting in his lap. "Mike, it hurts." I say after a few minutes of silence.

"I know, I'm not sure what to do." I hear him say, he sounds panicked. "Maybe I do want to travel the world, going to Europe. Dying in the mountains." I whisper.

I feel a tear dropping on my shoulder, and when I look up I see Mike crying. "I really like you Maddie. And I don't want to see you hurt again. I can't take this." He whispers into the air.

"M-Mike.. I-" but before I can say something else he pulls his lips against mine. I hesitate, but kiss him back.

After a few seconds I pull away. "Mike, promise you won't leave me." I whisper, whining again because of the pain. "I will." He says trough some sobs.

Words: 963
Short chapter I know. But I love it! Please vote or comment!
~ Alex