Chapter 4

"Language." I mumble as I still look at the two boys.

"Well well well, if those aren't some of our favourite newsboys." One of them says as they start walking towards us.

I swallow my fear as I take a step back. "What do ya want!" Albert yells at them.  "oh nkthing! We just want to talk." The other one says.

"I wouldn't even believe ya if you ate ya own feet!" Finch yells at them. The two boys ignore him and keep walking closer. Albert grabs me and pushes me behind him.

"Is that a girl Newsie I see? I haven't seen one in years." One of them says. The two boys start pushing away the boys around me 'till I'm standing straight infront of them.

"Hey sweetheart. I'm Oscar and that's my brother Morris." The one called Oscar says. They're both grinning down at me and my fear isn't getting any better.

"Leave me alone." I mumble before turning around. Oscar grabs my wrist and pulls me towards him. "Let go of me!" I yell.

"Hey! Don't toutch her!" Race yells. Morris turns around and punches Race in the face before turning back at me.

"I think we haven't meet probably." Oscar says. "Why don't we go over their and have a nice talk?" He says, lying an arm around my shoulders.

Morris does the same on my other side and they start walking away from the boys. I try to free myself from them, but they're way stronger then I am.

I was about to try another time when Morris suddenly let go of me and falls down on the ground. "Oh you son of a bitch!" He yells.

I breath heavilly as also Oscar let go of me and stumbles backwards. I look up and see a boy standing infront of me, his fist still in the air. "Are you okay?" He asks, without the thick New York accent.

I nod. "I-I think I am." I say to him. I look at the kid infront of me for a few seconds. I'm sure I haven't seen him before. He is just a few centimetres taller then me, his black messy hair comes to right above the ears. His brown eyes seems concerned as he looks down on me. He doesn't look very muscular, but he still knocked out both of the brothers. And he's conpletely dressed in black.

"Sorry but who are ya?" I ask him. He runs his hand trough his hair, thinking, before sticking his hand out for me. "Mike, nice to meet you." He says to me.

I shake his hand and nod. "Howler." I say to him. "Howler?" He asks with a laugh. "Yes, well no. Howler is my Newsies name, my girl name is Maddison, but call me Maddie." I say to him.

Both of the brothers are standing next to us. "you're lucky we have to go, but wait 'till we get our hands on you!" Oscar says, even though I'm not sure if he's talking to Mike or I.

"Jezus are ya okay!" I hear someone behind me say. I turn around to see the boys running towards me.
"I'm fine, a little bit flustered but that's all." I say to them.

"Thank god, I hate tha Delancey's." Race says. "I have to go, I hope I see you around." Mike says before walking away. "Same here." I say to him.

"Who was that guy?" Elmer asks, pointing at Mike. "I'm not entirely sure." I say, watching as he crosses the square.

"Hey guys!" Someone else yells. I turn around to see Davey and Les running towards us. "What's the matter?" I ask as they approaches us. "Brooklyn's here." Davey says with a grin.

Me and the boys start getting exited as we look at Davey. "And now?" I ask him. "And now? Well, not only Brooklyn's here, everyone is here! We have a meeting at Medda's!" Davey yells happily before grabbing my hand and start to run towards the theater.

"I'm gonna get the others!" Race yells before running back to the lodging house. The others start to follow me and Davey and not long after that we arrive at Medda's.

We walk onto the podium to see a LOT of Newsies gathered there. I see Miss Medda standing in the middle, and when she turns around to me she smiles. "You're that new kid who followed Jack into his atelier!" She screeched out.

I laugh as I walk towards her. "Yep, that's me. Howler." I say as I shake her hand. Miss Medda smiles before walking to the middle of the stage.

"Welcom Newsies of New York! Welcome to my theater and your revolution!" She yells. I laugh as all the Newsies start to cheer.

Race who is standing behind me punches me in the shoulder and laugh, putting an arm around my shoulders. I laugh along with him as I watch Davey walking over to Miss Medda.

"Let's hear it for Spot Colon!" He yells, a new wave of cheerings begin as a short but muscular boy walks up to the middle of the stage

"Newsies united!" Spot yells. "Hey Davey! Where's Jack!" I hear Finch say to Davey ones everybody went silent.

Davey looks around, not sure what to say. All of the Newsies start to mumble and whisper to each other.

I walk over to Davey, who seems scared. "Do you know where he is?" He asks me as I walk up to him. "This morning he said he was going to have a talk with Pulitzer. You don't think something bad happened to him, do you?" I say.

"I don't know." Davey says slowly. "Sorry kid, no sign of him yet, looks like you have to do it on your own." Miss Medda says.

"No I can't." Davey says to us. "Yes you can, I believe in you." I wisper to him. Davey nods, clears his throat and start his speech. As I turn around to walk to the edge of the stage again I see Mike standing in one of the wings.

I frown as I walk up to him. "What are you doing here?" I ask him. "You were walking away from us not even an hour ago."

"Well, I saw all the Newsies of New York walking up here, I tend to be a little curious." He says, looking ashamed. "You wouldn't say." I say with a laugh.

I feel someone grabbing my arm and pulling me further into the wing. "Jack?" I say as I see who it is.

Words: 1101
Another long chapter, I have no idea how long I'm gonna stick with this😅
~Alex