Chapter 9

I wake up by Mike slowly ruffling my hair. "If you sleep the whole day you can't sleep tonight." He chuckles.

"Do you even know what time it is?" I ask with a yawn. "11.25 AM" he answers, getting up. I groan and also get up.

"I should probably try to sell some papes before it get's dark." I say. "See ya later Mike." I say before turning towards the piece of wood that once was a door.

"Maddie wait." I hear Mike say before feeling him grab my wrist. I look at him with a questioning expression. "Take a day of! We can hang out for a while!"

"As much as I love ta, I need some money to buy myself food and pay tha 'rent'of the lodgin' house."

"I have an idea, take a day of. Trust me." I frown and look at him for a while. I nod and smile at him. "Alright then."

He grins and walks out of the building. "Follow me." He says. I do as he told me and we wander trough the city for a while.

Around 3 o'clock we get infront of a small house. I see Mike taking a key out of his pocket and he opens the door. "Mike what are ya doin'? Where are we?" I ask him.

He smiles and motions for me to come in. "Welcome to my home."

"No Mike! I can't go in there!" He grins before taking my hand and pulling me inside the building. "Don't be silly." The door closes behind me. "Mike I don't like this at all." I wisper to him.

He ignores me and walk towards what I guess is the living room. "I'm home." He says. I stand still in the doorway and see a woman walking out of the kitchen.

"Hey Mike! I didn't thought you would come home. You're always gone." She says with a smile. I try to hide but the woman already saw me.

"You brought a girl!" She says happily to Mike. "And who is this lovely woman?" She asks as she walks towards me.

"May she's just a friend." Mike tries. But the woman already took my hands and takes me to the coutch. We both sit down and she looks at me with excitement.

"I'm May, Mike's aunt. My husband Ben is currently working." (See what I did there🤫😘😝)  I shyly smile at her. "I's eh.. Howler.. Mike's friend."

"Howler?" She asks me. Mike walks up to us and sits down besides me. "It's her Newsies name. She got it when she joined them." He says. I smile at him thankfully.

"A Newsie? You don't see a lot of girl Newsies." She says confused. "I's tha first. I kind of followed Jack, tha leader, and he then asked me to become a Newsie." I say, kind of proud.

"And what about your parents? And your normal name."

"I don't really use my biological name anymore. Only a few know, and only one of them is allowed to call me by that name." I say, glaring at Mike. "I don't really wanna talk about my parents." I say with a sad smile.

"We're heading upstairs. Oh and we're both staying for dinner." Mike says. Motioning for me to follow him.

I was about to get up and follow him into the hallway when May pulled me back. "Mike never brought anyone home. Especially after the fiasco with his parents. He never even talked about having friends. I didn't even thought he had one until I saw you. He is a great boy Howler." She says, sounding like a concerned mother.

I smile at her and get up. "I know." I say before walking into the hallway. I see Mike standing there, waiting on me. We walk into his room and I snicker when I take it in me.

"I was suprised when I first met ya and saw your black clothes. But ya even painted your whole room black?" I laugh. He nods and sits down on the bed.

"Would you be surpised if I tell you I love it this way?" I shake my head no and sits down next to him. "No, not really." I say.

I lie my head down on his houlder and sigh. "Ya really are someone Mike." I hear him softly laugh. "You're not that normal yourself Mads."

After dinner we walk out of the house. "Is it really save to sleep in tha buildin'?" I ask Mike as we walk back to the abandoned building. "Ofcourse it is." He says in response.

Mike grabbed 2 blankets and pillows out of his room to sleep under. When we arrive at the building we quickly make a clean spot before sitting down.

I take of my cap and my hair falls down. I lie down on the floor and grab one of the blankets. It stays quiet for a few minutes as we both just listen to the crickets.

"You can just quite the Newsies you know. You can travel around the world, go behind the horizon." I hear Mike say. "As lovely as tha sounds, I's not gonna do that. I can't leave tha Fellas alone." I say to him.

It stays silent for a few seconds before I hear him speak up again. "I am gonna learn you some grammar one day. It helps a lot." I laugh softly at that comment.

"Mike... I's cold." I wisper into the air. I hear him shuffling before I feel his body against mine. My breath stuck in my troath. I feel Mike hesitating before he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him, pulling both of the blankets over us.

It takes me a few seconds before my heart calms down. I sigh and relax in Mike's embrace. "Hey Mike? Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He response, his breath tickling my neck. I quickly feel Mike's breath going steady as he falls asleep, but my mind is full of thoughts.

This guy, who I met just a few days ago is making my heart go crazy.

Words: 1015
I ship them so hard! Let me know what you guys think about Mike and Maddie amd give me some nice shipnames!!
~Alex