chapter eleven

After the encounter with Silas in the kitchen, I decided that I would actively try to spend less time in the apartment. I had done something sexual with both men in a day. I wanted to get myself back under control. So three and a half weeks had passed, and I barely saw Silas and Aries. I had been doing well. I kept to myself, I went to work, I spent time with my friends platonically, and I even grew closer with Jasmine.

As I was giving Aries my share of the rent, he told me that they would be having a party in the apartment. I didn't ask the occasion or question him any further, I just nodded. I could've not went and spent the night out, or had free food and drinks. I decided on the latter and invited Jasmine over.

I glanced at myself in the mirror, taking in the frilly red floral dress that hugged my body. I wasn't sure what the occasion was or what the dress code was, but I went with a casual dress. I wasn't exactly keen on getting dressed up to go into my living room, but I stained my lips in a nice red color to match the dress.

I looked good, good enough to get fucked, but I was trying to be good. I fluffed my hair, allowing it to fall down in its natural waves down my back. Their guests had been arriving since I started getting ready. It had been nearly an hour, so I felt as though there were quite a few people in the apartment.

My phone vibrated. I checked the message, seeing that it was Jasmine and she was here. I slipped out of my room, shutting the door behind me. Instantly the once muffled music was much louder and noticeable. I hoped that no one uninvited would try to enter my room without my permission. I didn't see anyone in the hallway so I figured they were all in the living room. And I hoped they would stay there.

I pulled open the front door, my eyes falling on Jasmine in front of me. She was wearing a tight blue body con dress that brought out her eyes beautifully. She beamed at me, wrapping her arms around me tightly.

"You look gorgeous," she said, pulling me back and holding my at arm's length. Her eyes moved down my body. "You look stunning in this dress."

I smiled. "Thank you, Jasmine. You look really good too. Come in."

I shut the door behind me. She began to look around the apartment. "This is a really nice place. Where is everyone?"

"Living room, I believe. Come on."

I felt Jasmine latch onto my hand as we walked into the living room. I couldn't figure out if she was nervous or not. I just shrugged it off, squeezing her hand gently and reassuringly. My eyes roamed around the room, looking for the only two familiar people that I knew. I found Silas, the only blonde man out of the flood of people. He was sitting on the couch, people around him, but he nearly seemed out of place. Seeing Silas actually talk and converse with people was nearly shocking. He still didn't smile, but he at least looked relatively interested.

Then my eyes found Aries, his tall frame sticking out in the crowd like a sore thumb. He was nearly 6'5". So he was incredibly hard to miss. The usual charismatic man had a self-assured look on his face, talking to a group of people who look very interested in what he had to say. I rolled my eyes. I could almost hear him bragging about something that didn't really matter. But I could admire the charisma that he had that I didn't.

I looked over to my right. Jasmine's big blue eyes moving around the room before they seemed to focus on someone. I followed her gaze to find who she had been looking at. She was looking at Silas. I furrowed my eyebrows unsure if she was looking at him because she found him attractive or because she knew him. She tilted her head a little, an audible gasp leaving her mouth. She looked over at me.

"I don't think I should be here," she murmured, shaking her head softly.

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking back over at Silas. Please don't tell me I brought his ex to the apartment. He would probably kick me out for sure without any sort of hesitation. I turned back to her. I was going to ask why, but she was turning on her heels. I took one step after her, latching onto her arm when I felt as though I has grabbed a burning hot pan off the stove. I let out a hiss in pain, jerking away from her as the sensation shot up my arm. She turned around quickly.

"I am so sorry, Natalia," she rushed out, guilt in her eyes.

I looked down at my arm that was slightly red. I looked back up at her in confusion. She had to have just squeezed it too tight. There wasn't any logical way where she could have actually burned me.

I felt someone grab my arm tightly as I was trying to wrap my head around what had just happened. I looked up seeing Silas holding my arm with an iron grip. His eyes narrowed in on the red splotchy area, bringing it closer to his face. He looked back up, his eyes hard on Jasmine, an even colder look in his eyes.

"What are you doing here?" He asked Jasmine, his voice vacant of any emotion. I felt a shiver crawl up my spine. I looked around the room, everyone's attention drawn to us. I tried to pull away in embarrassment but he wouldn't let me go.

She looked up at him with wide eyes. Her lips parted, no words escaping. He dropped my arm, taking a step closer to her. I stumbled back, immediately bumping into someone that I quickly recognized as Aries. He put a hand on Silas' shoulder, but Silas didn't even pay any attention with him.

"I invited her," I butted in. I was curious as to how they knew each other, but I wasn't sure how to ask. His eyes briefly flickered to me. "I-"

"I wasn't talking to you," he snapped. I shut my mouth, but couldn't help the flare of annoyance that shot through my body. He looked back at her. "What are you doing here, Jasmine?"

"She invited me," she whispered, fear in her eyes. "I didn't know you lived here or else I wouldn't have come," she suddenly hissed, standing her ground. She stepped up to him despite being much smaller and shorter in stature.

"Well, you need to leave," he growled. "Get out."

"Why are you still mad at me? It was my decision!"

"Your selfish decision to leave me and everyone else behind. What are you even doing in New York?"

"He found me." Who the hell is he?

His whole demeanor changed. "What? He didn't tell me-"

"What are you doing here?"

"Why didn't he fucking tell me he found you?"

"Maybe because you act like this. Ever thought about that?" His shoulders slumped in defeat, looking around him and everyone pretending not to observe the scene. He let out a heavy sigh, gulping. "What? You're not even a little happy to see me?" She asked, her eyes moving to the man behind me. "And you, Aries?"

For once, Aries kept his mouth shut, his loyalty lying with Silas. Silas walked away, going to his room, I assumed. I didn't know why I had this feeling that I should go after him. I could feel my feet wanting to move, to make sure that he was okay.

Jasmine looked at Aries, a soft frown on her face. "I should leave..."

"You should," Aries responded. I shot him a look, and his defenses seemed to lower. "You know him. He'll get over it."

"I fear he won't," she whispered. She looked at me. "I'm sorry. I think I'm going to go. Thank you for inviting me though. I'll see you at work."

She turned on her heels, leaving me in the room with a crowd of people that I didn't know and Aries. I tried to register in my brain what had just happened, but I came up empty. I just knew that whatever went down between Silas and Jasmine, it probably wasn't anything good.