chapter twenty three

"So these are your roommates," Mateo said, his eyes flickering between the two. Aries and Silas looked at him with matching blank looks. Mateo and I stood across from them, the vacant spot where I once took up waiting for me. "It's nice to meet you both. I'm Mateo."

As Mateo reached his hand out, Aries and Silas exchanged eye contact. It was brief, short, no physical words exchange, but I was sure some message had passed the two of them without them even having to speak. They both turned to him, my heart in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't help the anxiety in my stomach. Aries looked at me which caused Mateo to temporarily turn toward me.

"It's nice to meet a friend of Natalia's," Aries said. "But I'm not a fan of touching. Don't take it personally."

I nearly snorted. Aries wasn't a fan of touching? I had never met anyone more touchy and handsy than him. He seemed to be much of a fan of body contact, but obviously in the case with Mateo, it was different.

"Yeah, it's nice to meet you," Silas said, his disinterest apparent in his tone.

I leaned in toward Mateo causing both Aries and Silas to send me daggers. I ignored them. "Silas isn't big on emotions. And Aries doesn't like physical contact," I reassured Mateo. Well, at least I was telling the truth about one of them. "Religious reasons or something?"

"Oh," he muttered. "I understand."

"What were you guys doing before we got here?" Aimi asked, sitting down next to Lila. She pulled Mateo next to her and away from me.

"Just the usual," Rafael said, glancing at Lila. Then he glanced at me with a very sly look in his eye before it was gone. I narrowed my eyes at him, scoffing under my breath. "Movies. Popcorn. Nothing exciting."

I sat down in the space between Aries and Silas just as Mateo spoke up. "So you invited me to liven up the party, huh?"

"You invited yourself over," Aimi deadpanned. "And somehow got me to come along with you."

"Yeah, but clearly they needed me here. Right, Nat?" He beamed my way, searching for confirmation.

Every time Mateo spoke, I could feel the rising tension. I knew they, namely Aries, were trying to control themselves. But Aries was radiating annoyance. I was sure that if Mateo didn't shut up, Aries would in someway assert his dominance to him. And by assert his dominance, I meant explicitly show Mateo that I was his and Silas' only. Whether he would with his hands, his mouth, or his dick nearly kept me on the edge of my seat.

I felt as though it were inevitable. So I had to try my hardest to ease the tensions and keep the peace. Unless I wanted to be fucked on Silas' lap in front of Aimi, Lila, Mateo, and Rafael. Which I really, really wouldn't have minded-Get a grip, Natalia!

"Yes," I nodded in agreement.

Rafael stood up. "I'm going to get more popcorn."

He went alone which was a shocker. I expected for Lila to follow, which usually always happened. But he came back quickly, shutting out the lights again. And suddenly I didn't feel safe in the dark.

A horror movie was playing on the screen, typical of the October season. But the movie wasn't even good or entertaining for that matter. I couldn't stop letting my mind drift to the two paranormal beings on either side of me. Not even in a sexual way, just in a way where I couldn't stop thinking about their undeniable presence.