chapter thirty seven

I had no idea what Silas was making me for dinner. He told me to stay in my room and not to come out at all until 7:30. He kicked Jasmine and Aries out which left me wondering if Silas was going to break the news to me that I was pregnant. Obviously, not. I froze up suddenly. Or was he going to break things off with me?

I continued to look at myself in the mirror, trying to ignore the nearly paralyzing thought. I couldn't just ignore it because it was something that could genuinely happen. I didn't get the feeling from him at all-that he would end things-with the way we had been lately. If anything we had been closer, but anything could happen.

Why was I thinking this? And why couldn't I stop thinking about it? I gritted my teeth, placing my hands on my dress to smooth it out. I figured if he was making me dinner the least I could do was look a little cuter than I normally did. The dress was simple, a soft pink slip dress. I left my hair in its natural waves, near curls and put on lip gloss.

I heard a soft knock on the door. My eyes went over to the clock on my wall. It was 7:30 on the dot. He never missed a beat. I shook my head a little to myself, going over to pull my room door open. And when I did, I felt butterflies in my stomach as if I were seeing him for the first time.

I had grown accustomed to seeing Silas in dark colors. It was what he often wore, but he now wasn't wearing his usual dark color scheme. He was wearing a blue shirt which matched his eyes to nearly the same hue. I felt myself mesmerized in just how much it brought his eyes out. I always thought his eyes were beautiful, but now I couldn't stop staring.

His blonde hair was in its usual state, obviously freshly trimmed but nothing tremendously different. His face had been freshly shaved, I could smell it as well as see it. And he seemed as relaxed as he usually did, much calmer than I was feeling inside.

As much as I was checking him out, I didn't realize that he was indeed doing the same to me. His eyes moved down my frame, finding interest in the satin material of the dress as he reached out to touch it. His eyes raised back up to mine, going over my face. I tried to stop myself from blushing desperately. But I was nervous, so I grew hot much against my will.

He extended his hand for me to take. I glanced down, placing my smaller hand in his much larger one. He pulled me from my bedroom and whisked me to the dining room. I could smell the food the closer we had gotten and it smelled great. It wasn't that he never cooked-None of us had ever really cooked for the other. We ate out a lot-a lot. Or we were cooking for ourselves. So I couldn't help but feel the least bit giddy.

We both sat. I immediately looked down at the food that had prepared. It was a juicy steak on a bed of fresh vegetables. My mouth began to water instantly. Also on the table was a bottle of red wine, strawberries coated in chocolate and alongside some french macarons. Lastly, was a small candle which gave off an apple cinnamon fragrance. I moved my eyes from everything on the table to him.

He was already looking at me. I wanted to thank him. I wanted to tell him how thoughtful it was. But for some reason I felt at a loss for words. No one had done this for me ever. I was way less romantically experienced than most twenty three year olds, I had to admit. So this was big to me. This was something I knew I would never forget.

"I've never seen you so quiet," he said. I was glad he spoke up first because for some reason I had felt too nervous to. I felt like a schoolgirl again passing a 'Do you like me? Check yes or no' note. I had the same anxiety in my stomach even though this was him very much saying 'Yes, I like you very much.'

I bit my inner cheek. "This is...sweet. So sweet. Thank you." I sent him a small smile. He seemed so serious tonight, even more than usual. I found him even harder to read than normal. And that was destroying my nerves even more than usual. I was hoping that he would've smiled but he didn't.