Chapter 31 - Layers Beneath Us

Misha woke up at the ring of her phone. Cursing for being woken up in the middle of night, she took the phone from nightstand and was ready to slam the phone on wall. But one glance on caller name and she decided to just talk it out. Sighing, she received the call leaning on headboard. Her eyelids were fighting to droop.

"You better have good reason, Piya, or I'll kill you the first thing in morning." Misha said hoarsely

"Call Arav" feeble voice came from the other side, there was something in her voice that Misha could sense but couldn't name

Misha pressed her elbow on pillow trying to sit straight and concentrated. She wondered if she was dreaming? Maybe she listened wrong due to her sleepy condition? Or was it a joke to tease her next day?

"Since when did a friend order her best friend to call her brother at the middle of night?" Misha asked trying to smile but failing in the attempt

"Since the Sister knows only true love can heal her brother from the pain" came a voice void of life

"Dude," Misha tried to lighten the awkwardness but her voice betrayed her "they are heavy words" or the heavy feelings, Misha thought but didn't say

"I know you can get to him, Mish" Piya's voice came, suddenly the pain filled with hope

"he needs you" she added in a whisper

Misha didn't know what to say. She remained silent for a minute. The silence was unsettling and eerie.

"Can I know what happened?" Misha found herself asking eyeing the darkness from the pane of window

"Sure" Piya paused "he'll tell you but don't tell him about my call, I'm taking your promise on this."

And the line went dead. Misha pressed the phone to her ear even though she knew there would be no more voice speaking while her eyes hooked on the darkness lingering outside her window.

She let out a breath and pulled the phone away from her ears.

"I talked to him two hours back." Misha said to no one "when he was going to some club with his new friends. What did happen in two hour?"

But then she shook her head realising two hours was too long time for anything to happen. Even a second is enough to destroy or beautify the life.

The play of time!

.

Khushi gripped the railing and sighed softly. Her eyes watched her friends assembled in Hall and her mind racing whether to assure them or not. They were worried for her son and she had no idea how to tell them what she knew or if it would calm them or scared them further.

She walked to Arav's room. The door was left ajar. She peeked inside and saw Arav sleeping between the broken glasses. Her heart cried seeing her son's state.

"What have I done?" She whispered painfully

Unable to control her sobs, she muffled her cries by covering her mouth with her hand. She turned around and closed the door.

"Everything will be fine, Khushi. You can do it." She calmed herself

Khushi walked back to her room and saw Arnav sleeping peacefully. She closed her eyes and casted her illusion in room. Then walking back she looked at her friends sitting in Hall.

Once sure that everything was in control, she casted the invisible spell on herself and rushed to the terrace. She sat in a corner and took out the book. She looked at its crumbled red cover. It was the book she painstakingly took from their library.