"Nervous?"

"Im just saying this outfit would be great on you for Saturday's party

"Im just saying this outfit would be great on you for Saturday's party." My friend chimed from beside me staring at the array of clothes before us. She motioned to the pink crop top in front of me, holding up blue shorts next to it and I studied the look.
     "You're trying it on." My friend Brooke ordered as she pushed me towards the dressing room. I groaned at her orders and snatched the outfit from my beaming friends beside me.
    "Yep, she's buying it. Shara stated happily as I stepped out of the dressing room. The other two nodded and shot me a we told you so look. I couldn't lie they did pick out a good outfit, but I didn't want to admit it.
    "Okay, okay I'm buying it you were right blah blah. Can we please go get ice cream now?" I begged and the group playfully rolled their eyes before nodding.

"I'm thinking mint chocolate chip, but strawberry sounds kinda good right now." Jenny debated with my friend Shara about flavors. I was about to comment on their antics when I saw a very familiar head of hair under a scoops ahoy hat.

"Holy shit Harrington works here?" I questioned dragging my group of friends away from the entrance to the small ice cream parlor. Jenny and Shara shot each other a look before smirking at me.
"Nervous?" They teased simultaneously and I stuck my tongue out at the pair.
   "You know, I'm kind of not feeling ice cream right now, maybe we should keep shopping." Shara perked up at the sound of more shopping but Brooke grabbed my shirt before I could back away.

"We are not missing out on this opportunity because you are scared of a boy in a sailors costume. Get your ass in there, look confident, and flirt with the stupid sailor." She demanded and I narrowed my eyes at her after she shoved us into the parlor.

We walked up to the counter and my friends offered him a small smile before looking down at the flavors. He muttered something to his coworker behind the counter and threw off his hat. Something about company policy? He turned to us with a eager smile which I returned, ignoring the butterflies that erupted in my stomach.

"Ahoy ladies, what can I get you today?" I playfully rolled my eyes at the cheesy line he had to recite as my friends began to order.

"You guys still going to Hawkins high?" He questioned nervously motioning to my lanyard sticking out of my pocket.

"Yeah, we'll be seniors this year." I replied as his coworker who's name tag read Robin handed me my ice cream. She watched our conversation amusedly, seeming to be entertained with the boys nervous demeanor.

"Cool, cool. I was a senior last year, it's cool. Pretty cool. " He rambled to which I laughed. My friends had already paid and were waiting off to the side. Robin clasped her hands under her chin and stifled a laugh as Steve fumbled with my change. He shot her a glare from the corner of his eye.

"Yep, I'm hoping this year is more eventful than the last three." I responded and he chuckled, his voice cracking slightly at the end of his laugh. I raised an eyebrow and smiled towards his coworker who was watching the interaction and slapping a hand to her forehead.

"Yeah I was gonna hit college this semester but I figured I needed some real life experience before I go. You know see what it's like to earn a working mans pay." He continued.

"Really? And how's that working out for you?" I teased and the girl next to him covered her mouth to hide her laugh. He seemed taken a back by my answer, and when I looked to my friends to see their glare directed towards me I realized it came out more bitchy than playful banter. Shit.

"I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I work at Nino's near the front entrance, it kinda sucks but it's money." I tried to save the now painful conversation referring to the pizza shop I worked at in the mall. I was thankful I had the day off seeing as it looked busy when I passed by. He seemed to perk up at my answer, before shuffling away from the register so Robin could help the next customer.

"Ninos is a nice place, y-you  working this weekend?" He stuttered a bit before clearing his throat at the end of his sentence. I ignored it and shook my head.

"Nah I took the weekend off. Actually, my friend is having a party on Friday. I know you don't go to our school anymore, but it's an open house. You wanna come?" I suggested deciding to help his obviously horrible flirting. His eyes popped out of his head, and I quirked and eyebrow when his coworker shot me a baffled look at my offer.

"Or....not?" I asked filling the silence.

"No, no I'd love to go. Sounds great." He stammered and I offered him a smirk before motioning for him to give me his hand. He raised his eyebrows at me in confusion and I chuckled before grabbing his wrist and a pen from beside the register.

"You're gonna need my number for the address." I explained and his eyes widened once more before snapping his head to a shocked Robin and turning back to me with a smile.

"Call me whenever...Steve." I squinted to see his name tag so it looked as if I didn't know him. Truth be told I've gawked at him in the hallways since Freshman year. But he didn't have to know that.

"Yeah, yeah I will." He nodded vigorously as I joined my friends and walked away.

"You see that?" I could hear him say to his coworker proudly.

"I can't believe it dingus. But it doesn't count, she asked you out. Probably because you were practically choking on your own words. Meaning you still have no game, so you still suck." She teased in response and I let out a small laugh as we walked out of the shop.

"Wow y/n, that was you being nervous?" Brooke asked from beside me and I rolled my eyes at her and shrugged.

"I think he needed more help than I did. So I asked for him."