Senior Trip Pt.9

The ten of us made our way back into the kitchen, my friends recalling the events of only a short time ago enthusiastically

       The ten of us made our way back into the kitchen, my friends recalling the events of only a short time ago enthusiastically. Steve and I slightly trailing behind the large group awkwardly. He hopped up onto the counter and I finally got to see the extent of his injuries under the kitchen lights. A few of our friends let out oohs or sucked their teeth at the sight of his swollen eye and cut upper cheek.

"Wow way to make a guy feel better." He mumbled as Brooke chuckled and reached into her fridge to grab three frozen vegetable packets, handing one to me for my hand and two to Steve. The group snickering at our groans in response. I put the bag to my hand and winced, looking to Steve only to realize he had been studying me. We stared silently at one another, words not even needing to be exchanged. He had missed me as much as I had missed him these past couple days. I was sure of that when he swallowed harshly and averted his eyes from mine, as if holding back tears.

"Oh guys, remember that like thing we had to do for um, that reason?" Robin announced to the rest of the group suddenly.

"Robin what are you even talki- ow Cassie!" Ben was interrupted by the blonde next to him flicking his head and widening her eyes at him.

"Right, yeah let's get to that." Erin responded helping Robin usher our friends out of the kitchen towards the tv room.

Ben ignored the rest of them, crossing his arms and shooting a harsh glare at the boy on the counter beside me.

I cleared my throat through the awkward tension before breaking the silence.

"Ben, could you um. Leave us alone for a second?" I muttered with a quirked eyebrow. Ben shook his head no without removing his gaze from Steve. Only moving when Cassie walked back into the room with a breathy laugh before tugging him away.

"I swear Cass if he tries any bullshit I'll make sure he-" His voice trailed off as I offered a nervous chuckle as they disappeared down the hallway.

"He's, he's right you know. I don't deserve to be talking to you." Steve mumbled, adjusting the ice pack on his eye occasionally.

"I should thank you, for what happened outside." I defended, biting my lip at his cold scoff in return.

"Let's be honest, it's the least I could do." He hissed in pain as he adjusted the ice pack on his knuckles. I sighed before walking over to his seated position on the counter and grasped the frozen peas from his hand, wetting a paper towel with the two water before padding it on his cut knuckles. I looked up at him in confusion as he attempted to tug his hand away.

"Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Take care of me." He finished, shaking his head and continuing before I could reply.

"I don't deserve it."

Neither of us made eye contact for a few seconds, both seemingly deep in thought. Without thinking I grabbed his wrist again, continuing to stop the blood coming out of the cuts on his hand due to his continuous punches.