No Promises Pt. 2

"You know what they say about chemistry shortie?"

"Not sure, but they never told me incompetent pretty boys can't fathom simple concepts of it."

"So you think I'm pretty?"

"That's all you got out of what I just said?" I questioned, rolling my eyes at the boy's cheeky smile in response.

"It's okay, I think you're pretty too." He whispered with a wink.

"Ow! That's a heavy book!" He shouted, running his head and pouting at me swatting him with the chemistry book at his flirting.

"Focus Harrington."

"Geez I'm sorry, just not used to tutors this good looking."

"Jesus Christ." I groaned, turning to the next page of the textbook with a sigh. We could barely get through one chapter without the boy making a flirty comment or innuendo. Sitting on his large bed surrounded by papers and various notebooks. It would look to an outsider that we might actually be getting somewhere.

                               ***********

"Okay, so Dalton based his atomic theory on?...."

"Theeeeee law of conservation of mass?"

"Annddd?" I drew out the word to pose as more of a question as he stared at me thoughtfully. Biting on the corner of his thumb searching for the answer.

"The law of considerate consumption?" He raised his eyebrows in guess and I shook my head with a small smile. The cute expression undoubtedly making me blush.

"Kinda close, the law of constant composition." I corrected quietly. Frowning at his sigh of defeat.

"Let's face it y/n, I'm gonna fail. It's been an hour on one chapter and I still have no idea what you're talking about." He let out a deep breath and rested his arm over his eyes. I let my eyes trail over his figure, the way his arm tensed and relaxed as he adjusted positions. Letting his arm fall and staring up at the ceiling from his place on his back.

"You still have more than enough time to study this next few weeks Steve. You just need a study break." I defended simply, pushing some papers aside and laying down next to him.

"Okay." He replied softly, and I bit my lip at the disappointment and frustration underlying his nonchalant tone.

"Hey, don't get discouraged pretty boy. After all you have the best tutor in Hawkins high to help you." I argued cheekily, poking the side of his and laughing at his scrunched nose in reaction. Wondering just when the atmosphere got so familiar and comfortable. I had to admit he seemed more like an old friend than an estranged classmate.

"Hmm?" The boy hummed in question beside me, my stomach flipping at the realization I had thought out loud.

"I don't know. A few hours ago I thought you were the school's typical pompous rich kid." I explained beside him. He let out a forced breathy laugh in reply.

"Thanks." He muttered, looking over at me and trailing his eyes over my body as I turned onto my side to face him.

"No, I mean...Well you aren't how I thought you were. That's all."

"Better?" He offered a small smirk and repeated my actions, turning on his side to face me. A bushy eyebrow raised at my reddening cheeks. I looked away from his arm that unknowingly flexed as he supported his head with his hand.

"Better." I spoke simply.

"I knew I'd rub off on you shortie."

"Oh please Harrington, I'm just giving in to your obnoxious personality in realization that I'll have to put up with you for the next month."

"Mhm."

"Don't hum at me Steve, I speak only the truth!" I argued, playfully tugging the pillow out from under his arm and sacking his head with it.

"You're dead y/l/n."

"Try me pretty boy."